Author Topic: Regent Security Light Mercury H39 LED Direct Fit Lamp Solution?  (Read 1229 times)
dieselbulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Regent Security Light Mercury H39 LED Direct Fit Lamp Solution? « on: June 06, 2020, 07:07:26 PM » Author: dieselbulb
I'm not sure what model my Regent light is but it looks like this unit I found a picture of here on the galleries:

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5137&pos=16&pid=165054][url]https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=5137&pos=16&pid=165054[/url]

Here is the problem, looking for a solution.

Fixture is a 175 Mercury unsure what ballast but thinking Auto Transformer Reactor as this is a 120v application.

Problem is bugs and flying insects. The lantern is mounted to the side of a metal shop near a walk-in door opening and it lights a large area used to walk from home to shop. I use the shop as a warehouse and need to avoid insects entering the building via the door which the light attracts. In an attempt for both more light and reduction to insect attraction I installed a GE HPS 150 watt retrofit lamp, which is awesome in light output, and attracts less bugs, but still attracting bugs that are problematic.

Bugs are attracted, and pool at the base of the lighting wall, which ultimately crawl in any small seam of door and enter building, then go everywhere and into stored warehouse products is the biggest issue.

Now, I really dislike LED products but did some research into whether a drop-in replacement exists, to my surprise I couldn't find one. Closest I found was a GE model that listed CWA ballast compatible only. Really surprising with as much of this stuff is on the market that there isn't much available that fits this application.

Want to keep the ballast and not re-wire, as I will swap back to HPS during the winter, but during the summer bug season I need something that doesn't attract bugs, thinking LED because of lack of UV.

Anyone know what type of ballast this fixture I have uses (or how to identify) and whether there is a model of LED unit that will work work with ballast?

My other options are to move the fixture (not ideal) or replacement with another light source.

It would be awesome if there was a 175 watt mercury "bug bulb" made.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Regent Security Light Mercury H39 LED Direct Fit Lamp Solution? « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:30:27 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
You may consider using LPS? I realize it may be a lot of work but a SOX18 should fit and produces no UV/Blue wavelengths to attract bugs

Administrator #5

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Regent Security Light Mercury H39 LED Direct Fit Lamp Solution? « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 12:58:36 AM » Author: Medved
I would rewire with a (dpdt) switch accessible from the bulb area and use 120V LEDs. Then when swapping the lamp, you will just switch to "with" or "without" ballast configuration. Fitting two ballast types I see as impossible, maybe only when one of them would be remote, but that would mean rewiring not only the fixture, but the line to it as well.

Relating the bugs attraction: They are attracted by blue/UV light and heat (the wam wall, heated by the lamps IR). Hard to tell, which one is stronger.
The MV emits both.
The HPS should emit hardly any UV, so what remains is the heat, warming up the wall behing the lantern and that warm wall is then attracting the bugs to crawl on it. For the UV, double chec ???k the lamp datasheet.
The LED does emit the blue, but dunno how attractiva that is for the bugs. But it emits hardle any IR, so it wont heat up the wall behind, so at least that aspect should improve (even when the light arrtacts some, they wont be crawling on the wall that much).

No more selfballasted c***

dieselbulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Regent Security Light Mercury H39 LED Direct Fit Lamp Solution? « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:30:32 PM » Author: dieselbulb
Thanks for the replies.

I agree with the solution for switch, that's probably the route.

I'm concerned that the LED may attract bugs too, hopefully not. Biggest issue with this lantern is position. When I rebuilt the wall and insulated the building I opted for leaving the lantern where it was.

Will do some wiring diagram work and report back, gotta select a decent LED, warm temperature likely.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies