Author Topic: Shop in Commercial St East London. Who remembers?  (Read 1067 times)
migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Shop in Commercial St East London. Who remembers? « on: June 16, 2020, 07:05:22 AM » Author: migette1
I have been reminded of a shop which I visited many years ago, this from a entry just put up where a shop window showed some old lamps covered in more dust then my collection. Was that photo from the same shop? I need more help from members who remember the old shops selling lamps and government surplus now sadly all gone. This shop I speak of was in Commercial St. London near Whitechapple it did close due to the elderly gentleman passing but think his wife carried on. Their name may of been King but not sure. The shop was well known and they could not have given more info on a particular bulb, in fact they had a bowl of blown lamps to help out customers to what bulb they wanted. Service like that is very rare. Any info would be welcome, I still have one of their neon lamps and well remember their door with built in window also showing several lamps.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Shop in Commercial St East London. Who remembers? « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:33:04 AM » Author: migette1
Perhaps its my age!!! I can recall things which I remember from years ago when there was many more stores selling things that were interesting and ranged from old telephones, electrical bits and lamps, example was Ben Salmons shop along the Romford Rd in Manor Park London here you had a choice of Neons and oldies Osglim plus numerous half watt SBC all ex government stock from the war years. I am sure Ethans shop that he saw was the one I was writing about and as he said the photo was taken some years ago. I could mention many surplus shops of the time and perhaps Proops was one of the best with things changing often. Age has a lot to answer to and a great pity these shops have all gone. Junk markets have taken over and remember a superb one in Brussels where I bought a number of old bulbs on the old voltage of 120v being sold as then the new voltage had come in 240v, this was a long time ago and such stuff turns up not very often, the next good buy was from Wimbledon boot sale and I was lucky to buy many old lamps as a job lot that came from an old pumping station, including several bee hives. Be glad to visit these when the dangers of the plague are over and become stop shielding???????????

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Shop in Commercial St East London. Who remembers? « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 09:16:49 AM » Author: Rommie
I remember it well, except for its name..! There were also some good shops selling old telephones in Lisle Street near Leicester Square. Not to mention Service Trading just up the road in Little Newport Street, Proops in Tottenham Court Road, and Z&I Aero Services further up near Warren Street,which sold nothing but valves (vacuum tubes to you colonial types..!). There were a few good electronics places in Edgware Road as well as I recall.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Shop in Commercial St East London. Who remembers? « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 12:51:58 PM » Author: migette1
I remember it well, except for its name..! There were also some good shops selling old telephones in Lisle Street near Leicester Square. Not to mention Service Trading just up the road in Little Newport Street, Proops in Tottenham Court Road, and Z&I Aero Services further up near Warren Street,which sold nothing but valves (vacuum tubes to you colonial types..!). There were a few good electronics places in Edgware Road as well as I recall.

Brings back so many memories, my first German phone came from Lisle St. Those were the days and I was in my Teens, yes a very long time ago!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies