Author Topic: Homamade lampholders  (Read 3000 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Homamade lampholders « on: June 16, 2020, 09:56:46 AM » Author: Binarix128
I want to make cheap lampholders for me, but I don't know what material use exactly. I should use clay, concrete or some sort of porcelain?
Cold modelating porcelain will not resist a 100w bulb.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 10:17:02 AM » Author: Medved
Better buy factory made socket and make the rest of the lantern yourself.

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 11:32:13 AM » Author: Binarix128
Yep, there are cheap lampholders. Making one by myself will be complicated, since I have to match the socket shape and then make the metal contacts.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 12:32:06 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Better buy factory made socket and make the rest of the lantern yourself.

The thing is, they don't sell admedium (e29) light sockets at all anymore so we would have to resort to making them ourselves. Which may be a thing i will do in the future.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 01:21:21 PM » Author: Binarix128
Yep, there are rare bases that are not sell anymore. Here for example we don't have E26, E39 or even E10 and E14 are rare, so making it ourselves is the only way.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 02:00:36 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Yep, there are rare bases that are not sell anymore. Here for example we don't have E26, E39 or even E10 and E14 are rare, so making it ourselves is the only way.

There are plenty of us standard sockets on ebay and amazon that you can buy new. I could go right now and get some e14 sockets from a seller that has them in their area even though i live in america and we don't use them often.  You can't get e29 sockets anywhere new anymore (they haven't made them in forever) and they are super expensive and hard to find used.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 02:05:38 PM » Author: Binarix128
You can even buy a broken one! You just need the metal contacts, then you can make the ceramic body out of clay.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 02:46:23 PM » Author: Ash
Is E29 even a thing ?

However, i can think of a possible solution for E29 : Get an E27 holder like in the picture. Remove the ring that the lamp screws through - The ring itself screws into somewhat wider thread in the ceramic. It _might_ come out about right for your lamp....

Also, check out fuse holders, they might suit some lamps. You will need to modify the center contact so that it will be less deep, so it can reach the lamp base
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 04:56:20 PM » Author: Binarix128
You can make an E29 socket from an E29 lamp and wire. Wind the wire around the base and that's it! Then make the central contact and pot everything in clay or modeling porcelain.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 05:43:15 PM » Author: Bulbman256
You can make an E29 socket from an E29 lamp and wire. Wind the wire around the base and that's it! Then make the central contact and pot everything in clay or modeling porcelain.

That's actually pretty innovative! :love: I will have to try this as i have two e29 bulbs that i could use as the template and i will have to try this one out

Wonder if i can kiln fire copper wire with the modeling porcelain to make a a soled socket and not have the wire melt. :wndr:

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 11:27:11 PM » Author: Binarix128
I think I will try this way to make homemade lampholders.

Not, at the temperatures that clay or porcelain is cooked copper should not melt.

You can make a long clay coil, then with that clay coil you can easily shape your lampholder. Then make your copper coil and the central contact and put it in the clay, then all go to a normal gas or electric oven (not to the microwave of course). The only bad thing about tgat is that the lamp will not fit so tightly to the socket, so pick up a think and hard wire.

I will do that, but I still don't have clay for do that.

Use non-plastic clay, porcelain cracks easily in the process.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 08:35:21 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I think I will try this way to make homemade lampholders.

Not, at the temperatures that clay or porcelain is cooked copper should not melt.

You can make a long clay coil, then with that clay coil you can easily shape your lampholder. Then make your copper coil and the central contact and put it in the clay, then all go to a normal gas or electric oven (not to the microwave of course). The only bad thing about tgat is that the lamp will not fit so tightly to the socket, so pick up a think and hard wire.

I will do that, but I still don't have clay for do that.

Use non-plastic clay, porcelain cracks easily in the process.

I can use some old 14 gauge copper wire that i have around and wrap it around the grooves of the base to make the shape and then bend it out. I would make the contact out of the same wire but bended 180 next to it an then soldered together to make a flat contact and make point the opposite way of the other wire exiting. The i would make abase of clay and make the wto wires stick out on each side while moulding the contacts to the clay. then i would encase the coiled wire in clay and make sure there a little hole tabs for mounting. With both wire sticking out after i baked the socket, i would use terminal blocks on each solid wire to connect to other wires.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 11:50:05 PM » Author: Binarix128
I'm actually making my own E27 sockets, out of clay and steel wire. I'll post it later.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 09:26:27 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I'm actually making my own E27 sockets, out of clay and steel wire. I'll post it later.

Would like to see that so i could get some info and ideas for my admedium constructed socket.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Homamade lampholders « Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 12:52:29 AM » Author: Binarix128
I'm drying out the sockets, and are very ugly. After that I need to cook the clay to make it resistant to the water, so after that I will take the picture. After dry out and before cooking I will take the picture. Do you will post a picture of yours?  :)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies