Author Topic: GOL ATL ????  (Read 8937 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 05:12:37 AM » Author: dor123
The forum of ATL has been lost because of a server crash.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 06:23:55 AM » Author: Rommie
The forum of ATL has been lost because of a server crash.
Then they should have had backups. What sort of website owner doesn't keep a backup of the system  ::)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 09:19:51 AM » Author: Binarix128
Then they should have had backups. What sort of website owner doesn't keep a backup of the system  ::)
You can't always, if you use a basic plan or free host.  ;D
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #18 on: June 17, 2020, 09:49:07 AM » Author: Rommie
So keep a  copy on your own system. That's what I did when I ran a website. It got backed up to a local drive every time I made a change. Which is what everyone should do with any computer really. The computers we use here get backed up to a local network drive every night with whatever has changed, then once every so often (about a week or two depending on how much has changed) it does a full backup of the entire drive.

I remember many years ago running a bulletin board (pre-internet). Something (sadly, I believe it was a cargo plane that hit some high voltage overhead lines) caused the power to fail over quite a large area. This of course happened at 4am just as the system was in the middle of updating some of its configuration files. Now as anyone with any experience of this sort of thing knows, computers do NOT like power being removed from them unexpectedly at the best of times, least of all when they're doing system updates :poof:

The system was down for three days while I rebuilt the config from scratch and at least 75% of the message board content was lost. That day, I learnt the hard way that anyone who doesn't back up is an idiot and deserves to lose their stuff, it's as simple as that. Once I had things up and running again, I went out and bought an uninterruptible power supply..! I also started a daily backup routine.

Also, for critical system files, in addition to the above, copy them to an online service such as Dropbox.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #19 on: June 17, 2020, 10:18:34 AM » Author: Binarix128
I also "manage" a website as you can see but. Can I download all files with FileZilla and then replacing the existing ones?

I wonder if doing this you mess up with configurations or with the MySQL database.

If it is that simple I can just enter with the FTP client and save all CaptureCommons files to my hard disk, but I don't know how to backup the database.

If you don't want to loss data by power cutouts buy UPS and a gasoline generator, Use the UPS for stand the current while you turn on the gasoline generator. There are decent middle price generators in the market that can stand 1kw. If you live in an apartament don't use the generator of course.

Last time I did an important change in my site all crashed, all has set to read only for the FTP client, I had to delete the domain create it again and install everithing back of course.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:27:07 AM by Binarix128 » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #20 on: June 17, 2020, 10:24:46 AM » Author: Rommie
Back in the day I used MS FrontPage. Not the best these days but it did the job. You built up the entire site offline and then uploaded it with FTP. Don't know how you'd do it now, it's been a long time.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #21 on: June 17, 2020, 10:30:49 AM » Author: Binarix128
Back in the day I used MS FrontPage. Not the best these days but it did the job. You built up the entire site offline and then uploaded it with FTP. Don't know how you'd do it now, it's been a long time.
It only saved the FTP files or the entire site with the database data?

If I change files with the FTP client will mess up the site?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #22 on: June 17, 2020, 10:37:52 AM » Author: Rommie
I don't honestly remember, I just made changes on the local copy and uploaded them. I rarely if ever worked on the 'live' system.

If you change things locally and test them, it doesn''t break the live copy. Alternatively if you do mess with things live and it doesn't work, you still have the undamaged local copy you can upload to fix it. You might lose a bit of data depending on how long ago you backed up, but it's better than having to rebuild the entire site from scratch..!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #23 on: June 17, 2020, 12:11:52 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Binarix128
There was members at ATL? I wonder what the existing members did to register in the site.
At one time you could just register (then be approved by an admin)

The site refuses to load on my old main computer, but I tried on a different one & it works there...can even still log on, so yep ATL is still around!

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #24 on: June 17, 2020, 12:19:40 PM » Author: Binarix128
At one time you could just register (then be approved by an admin)

The site refuses to load on my old main computer, but I tried on a different one & it works there...can even still log on, so yep ATL is still around!
I thought that ATL banned all users, but seems like you can still log in. Do the site still have activity?

I'm curious to see how the gallery is. Can you show a screenshot of the gallery?
Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #25 on: June 17, 2020, 03:38:24 PM » Author: Danny
Last i heard ATL was turned into a personal blog for the site admin and all of the members content on both the Forum and the Gallery was removed and turned into where people could request to join to see the pictures from the admins only.  I believe when you requested to join, the admins set you up an account them selves and gave you their chosen username.  Although from what people have told me, a lot of it its content was lost in a Whopping site crash Around a year or two ago especially the forum. Its been a very long time since i last logged into there or even went near it i believe it was the back end of 2014 or 2015. Its Rather sad how it ended really it had sooo much potential. To be honest i had completely forgotten About the site until i seen this post here!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 03:40:36 PM by Danny » Logged
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #26 on: June 17, 2020, 05:08:41 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
As requested, here's a gallery screenshot from ATL (in this case showing last comments).
The forum part was indeed lost in the site crash (and not re-setup). Parts of the gallery were saved though.

@Danny: If I remember correctly you're correct in - atleast after the crash - that  the admins had to setup/restore your account manually?

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 05:11:40 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
ATL doesn't sound like much fun. Have a name picked for you, cant share your own content and must cater to every whim of admins. Passsss

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #28 on: June 17, 2020, 05:14:56 PM » Author: Rommie
Well looking at that screenshot and seeing a certain name who's on there, I'm glad I'm not.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: GOL ATL ???? « Reply #29 on: June 17, 2020, 05:18:24 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Lightingguy1994:
I was able to pick a username (i think) on ATL - as I have the same one (or maybe I just asked if I could have it..I don't remember now.)

Also .LOL. @ your signature image..

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies