Author Topic: Any Incandescent Signals Left?  (Read 5273 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Any Incandescent Signals Left? « on: June 26, 2020, 03:02:16 PM » Author: joseph_125
I made a similar thread on GoL years ago. Back then there were a few intersections in my area that still had incandescent traffic lights in use but they have all been converted to LED or replaced over the years. The last miss out full incandescent signal was replaced around mid 2015 here. There might be a few beacons with incandescent lamps scattered around but that's about it.

There are some smaller towns here that still have incandescent signals but they are far and between and even those places have been spot replacing with LEDs as I guess the old incandescent TS lamps have gotten harder to find.

So any incandescent traffic signals left in your area?
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:23:07 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Rancho Cucamonga still has some incandescent yellows and greens in some of their signals. They replace them with LED modules as the lamps fail. Both 8" and 12" ones.

On a side note they also have fluorescent street signs and when the lamps fail they get retrofitted with LED lamps.

I know of some other places that have them, but I forgot where they were.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 06:35:30 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 07:31:55 PM » Author: High Intensity
I think there are a few in parts of Cupertino and Palo Alto.
Wireman
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 11:58:04 PM » Author: Wireman
Here in Broward county Florida almost all of the the red and greens have been retrofitted with LEDs but there are a small number of incandescents around. Most of the yellows are still incandescent. The county uses 135 watt incandescent lamps for all three colors and they only use 12" lenses.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 12:27:51 AM » Author: joseph_125
I think the closest town to me that still has incandescent signals is Alliston, ON. They have a bunch of 1970s Canadian GE signals still in use. A miz of 12-8-8 and 8-8-8. The 12" sections usually used a 135w lamp, the 8" sections a 60w lamp. Arrows and pedestrian signals were 116w I believe.

Over here the yellows were the last to get LEDs. Toronto only got rid of their last incandescent yellow in 2018 or so. At least the ones that I were aware of. There might still be a few stragglers I haven't seen yet.

Over here 12-8-8 signals are still being installed but I have noticed some cities switching out their 12-8-8 heads to all 12" heads.
Wireman
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 01:25:46 PM » Author: Wireman
I did find 2 intersections in the Fort Lauderdale area that still have a few of the very unique 3M programmable visibility/high visibility signal heads. All of the colors have 12" lenses and they still use 150 watt PAR-46 lamps. I don't know what anyone else thinks but these have got to be the coolest signals ever made.
LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 11:30:18 AM » Author: LampLover
I did find 2 intersections in the Fort Lauderdale area that still have a few of the very unique 3M programmable visibility/high visibility signal heads. All of the colors have 12" lenses and they still use 150 watt PAR-46 lamps. I don't know what anyone else thinks but these have got to be the coolest signals ever made.

Yeah, I have always liked those 3M programmed Viability signals myself. There is one at an intersection in Bridgeport, CT (Downtown or what is left of it by the train station & bus terminal). I have not been down that way for quite awhile so I don't know it is still there  or not

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 02:40:37 PM » Author: nogden
There's definitely a few incandescent signals still in northern Michigan. Maybe 10% of all signals (flashing yellows included) are still incandescent.
Wireman
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 12:19:24 AM » Author: Wireman
Just recently came across a traffic light controller in Sunrise,Fl made by Eagle Signal. It was installed around 1992 when the signals were first installed at that intersection. Some of the original signal heads are still in service and they were also made by Eagle. Just wondering why the heads themselves are no longer painted yellow? At least not in my area they're not. All of the signals in Broward County Florida have been painted black for at least 35 years.
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 12:48:02 AM » Author: Binarix128
In Av. Departamental and near there are incandescent traffic lights, but I'm not sure if those has been L*Diseased.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 12:07:47 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Some signals in South Hill have those fresnel-type lenses.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 12:12:54 AM » Author: HPS_250
Nearly all of the traffic signals are LED here, but I know of one intersection with incandescent left.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 03:01:25 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
because of the issue with blowing snow not melting in street light fixtures, many municipalities here have reverted back to incandescent for several of the fixtures at the intersections, leaving one or two still LED.  The Yellow/Amber lights are mostly LEDs though. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 02:28:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
I recently discovered a flasher beacon here that still used an incandescent lamp. I also noticed the incandescent sign light on this set got relamped with two incandescent lamps.

Over here they use full LED signals now but for years they had incandescent lamps in the amber light. The snow accumulating on the lenses doesn't seem to be that big of a problem here since we use cutaway visors and clear plastic baffles on some signals.

I suppose you could use LED modules with built in heaters, GE has some with a heater that kicks in when it's below freezing. 
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Any Incandescent Signals Left? « Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 12:44:04 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Despite the fact that the City of Columbus SAID they were going to convert all traffic lights to LED by 2015 there are still at least a dozen or so intersections that are still incandescent.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies