Author Topic: GE 72W Equivalent Halogen Bulbs "Whistle" When Burned Horizontally!  (Read 1419 times)
MVMH_99

View Posts
View Gallery

Nothin' Like Clear MV...

GE 72W Equivalent Halogen Bulbs "Whistle" When Burned Horizontally! « on: July 18, 2020, 04:50:02 PM » Author: MVMH_99
All right,

I can officially say I'm fed up with these stupid Halogen incandescent "retrofit" bulbs.  Not only did one explode over the stove (you can see that if you visit my gallery), but they suddenly seem to have a weird personality where they "whistle" if burned horizontally.  The whistling is slightly noticeable when at full brightness, but becomes annoyingly loud and high-pitched when the light is dimmed. >:(

Only once or twice have I been lucky enough to get one that doesn't do it, but all the other ones do, 8 times out of 10.  They also tend to burn out quickly when they have the whistle - in less than 2 months or so, at the most!

All of the associated bulbs I'm talking about were made in Hungary, and are all GEs.  Any suggestions??  I'm really annoyed that bulbs just don't last anymore, and are of such shoddy quality.  It's bad enough that one exploded, but for now for them to burn out rapidly and not even work as they should in "traditional" light fixtures?! :curse:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - let old lighting LIVE!

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: GE 72W Equivalent Halogen Bulbs "Whistle" When Burned Horizontally! « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 05:29:15 PM » Author: Bulbman256
That sucks, i may thing big L*d may be apart of this.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE 72W Equivalent Halogen Bulbs "Whistle" When Burned Horizontally! « Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 12:42:03 AM » Author: Medved
I think the problem is not the lamp, but the dimmer. Te dimmer triac isn't switching decisively how it should, but oscillating (hence the noise). The lamps are then only the "speaker" for the mess the dimmer is doing.
All this could lead to components in the dimmer actually catching fire (the potentiometer or the other small trigger componenst - with these oscillations they are heavily overloaded).
It could be the dimmer being badly designed, too low load (dimmer have certain minimum load rating, below that they may go crazy), or damage from attempts to operate some lamps not rated for dimming.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies