Author Topic: Neighbor replaced security light  (Read 1159 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Neighbor replaced security light « on: August 02, 2020, 02:41:34 PM » Author: Cole D.
So my neighbor that had the HPS yardblaster that had problems with it, decided to replace it. It was having problems again and they didn't want to mess with it again. My father, helped them install the new fixture. It's a 65 W CFL type fixture with built in photocell. I saw it at night and it's really bright, and it's the Lithonia brand from Lowes. I was surprised they didn't replace it with an LED, but CFL to me is better at least. My dad said the big CFL bulb weighed more than the fixture itself. So I know it's not great quality.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neighbor replaced security light « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 03:40:22 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've seen the CFL yardblasters before.  The big issue I have with them is the cold weather performance SUCKS ! Once it gets cold outside I'd bet it wont be near as bright as it is when it's warm out. That was the main reason I swapped out all of the PL type fluorescent fixtures I had outside.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neighbor replaced security light « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 05:05:22 PM » Author: Ash
Wouldn't it warm up normally after a while if the luminaire is sealed ?
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neighbor replaced security light « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 09:43:54 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Mine never did ! I the temp was way below freezing all the PL's would do was sit there and blink until you went out, removed the globe and held the lamp in your hands to warm it up. Even then they still wouldn't come up to full brightness unless it was at least 50°F or more.

The high wattage PL's will eventually get to full brightness , they'll just take a little bit longer when cold.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neighbor replaced security light « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 01:23:22 AM » Author: Ash
In Europe there used to be a starting system similar to thermal (4 pin) starters, which as far as i know was able to get tubes (there F40T12 / F65T12's) to start under extreme cold. Perhaps something like that or electronic equivalent would work with PL's
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies