Author Topic: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture?  (Read 4460 times)
KJ7BZC

View Posts
View Gallery

115Vac 60Hz Mains Power

UC59tGoPqY4OgWbqmCie2IvA KJ7BZC
LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « on: August 10, 2020, 05:28:18 PM » Author: KJ7BZC
Hi, I just picked up my first lamps in my collection today. They are the 175 watt Mercury vapor yardblaster lights that are seen just about everywhere. Anyways my favorite kind of lights are MV and LPS, and I know that there are HPS bulbs that are compatible with MV fixtures, but do you guys know of any LPS bulbs that are compatible with the 175 watt MV ballast? I would like to have a LPS fixture sometime but I was just wondering if there was a way to use one of these as LPS by default. Also if you happen to know the model of the HPS bulb I mentioned earlier that would be great as well. Thanks!

I know a lot about ripple control systems, primarily the transmitters as I have made my own. PM me if you have any questions about them.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 07:20:48 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Hi, I just picked up my first lamps in my collection today. They are the 175 watt Mercury vapor yardblaster lights that are seen just about everywhere. Anyways my favorite kind of lights are MV and LPS, and I know that there are HPS bulbs that are compatible with MV fixtures, but do you guys know of any LPS bulbs that are compatible with the 175 watt MV ballast? I would like to have a LPS fixture sometime but I was just wondering if there was a way to use one of these as LPS by default. Also if you happen to know the model of the HPS bulb I mentioned earlier that would be great as well. Thanks!

Im pretty sure that is electrically impossible with a normal sox lamp and I think no company took the effort to design a lamp that was electrically compatible with an mv ballast. Besides most people didn't retrofit mv with sox they replaced the fixture with hps or led or used one of those hps retrofit lamps.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

KJ7BZC

View Posts
View Gallery

115Vac 60Hz Mains Power

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 10:08:10 PM » Author: KJ7BZC
Alright, I'm sure there are HPS bulbs that work for it because I've seen them. However I severely doubted the existence of a compatible SOX bulb for it, I was just checking if there might have been one.

I know a lot about ripple control systems, primarily the transmitters as I have made my own. PM me if you have any questions about them.

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 08:00:24 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Alright, I'm sure there are HPS bulbs that work for it because I've seen them. However I severely doubted the existence of a compatible SOX bulb for it, I was just checking if there might have been one.
[/quote

There ARE HPS retrofits for MV. See here .

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 08:44:16 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The only combo that is even kinda possible is SOX18 on a F32T8 electronic instant start ballast which does work well

Administrator #5

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 03:33:27 AM » Author: Medved
There ARE HPS retrofits for MV. See here .

The question was about LPS, not HPS...

The thing is, LPS needs rather high voltages and lower currents, which is far off what the optimum for the high pressure lamps is.

The high pressure lamps have rather similar ranges, so they could be designed to work on the same ballast characteristics, with just the ignition added to the HPS lamps - either an extra capacitive electrode (a wire or conductive stripe around the arctube, connected to one terminal usually via a bimetal switch,... - popular by Tesla), a small HV pulser integrated into the lamp base (e.g. FEC device popular by Iwasaki, or a starter like switch popular with e.g. Osram,...) or modified fill mix for easier ignition on expense of lower efficacy (or a combination).

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 06:56:20 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I believe a 200w SLI/H lamp from the UK is a LPS lamp that can run pretty well on a 175w mercury ballast because a 200w SLI/H lamp needs 145v 1.55a to operate while a 175w mercury bulb needs 130v 1.5a to operate. The thing you would need to do is to move the 175w mercury ballast to a F30T12 or a F25T8 fixture and you would use a Philips BodyTone starter rated for 120w-180w fluorescent tubes or a Philips BodyTone starter for 180w-225w tubes.

Here is a link to buy SLI/H lamps here:
http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/Double-Ended-Linear-Sodium-Lamp-200W-900mm-Gold-G13-Cap-1700K
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:00:04 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 07:11:41 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I believe a 200w SLI/H lamp from the UK is a LPS lamp that can run pretty well on a 175w mercury ballast because a 200w SLI/H lamp needs 145v 1.55a to operate while a 175w mercury bulb needs 130v 1.5a to operate. The thing you would need to do is to move the 175w mercury ballast to a F30T12 or a F25T8 fixture and you would use a Philips BodyTone starter rated for 120w-180w fluorescent tubes or a Philips BodyTone starter for 180w-225w tubes.

http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/Double-Ended-Linear-Sodium-Lamp-200W-900mm-Gold-G13-Cap-1700K

A 200w SLI lamp will not fit into a yardblaster. The poster wanted to retrofit their yard blaster lights.

Administrator #5

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 07:30:28 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
A 200w SLI lamp will not fit into a yardblaster. The poster wanted to retrofit their yard blaster lights.

A mogul to medium socket, a medium socket to outlet adapter and a single lamp F25T8 or F30T12 striplight could be used where the yardblaster is remotely ballasting the striplight to power the 200w SLI/H bulb.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 01:16:52 AM » Author: Medved

Operating arc voltage is not the only thing to match for the ballast/lamp combination to work. You need the ballast to have sufficient OCV to operate the discharge even in modes where e.g. the electrodes had not warmed up yet. And there the 220V is enough for a probe start MV, but way insufficient for the LPS.
But you wont damage anything by just trying it out - worst case it just will be unreliable for starting...

KJ7BZC

View Posts
View Gallery

115Vac 60Hz Mains Power

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 02:22:24 PM » Author: KJ7BZC
At this point I think I am going to just get a proper ballast and such for the SOX bulb. Considering I don't need it to be super bright I am going to use a lower wattage bulb, that would also help it not stick out of the fixture as much. Maybe a 35W, but I can't seem to find them for a low price, that seems to be something common with SOX in general.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 10:18:03 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Operating arc voltage is not the only thing to match for the ballast/lamp combination to work. You need the ballast to have sufficient OCV to operate the discharge even in modes where e.g. the electrodes had not warmed up yet. And there the 220V is enough for a probe start MV, but way insufficient for the LPS.
But you wont damage anything by just trying it out - worst case it just will be unreliable for starting...

By the way, a SLI/H linear LPS lamp has a lower OCV than a typical SOX lamp. As a result, it can be ignited on preheat/switchstart gear such as the 175w MV ballast and the Philips Bodytone starter. Other members here have been able to get SLI/H lamps to ignite using preheat/switchstart gear.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 02:53:48 AM » Author: Medved
By the way, a SLI/H linear LPS lamp has a lower OCV than a typical SOX lamp. As a result, it can be ignited on preheat/switchstart gear such as the 175w MV ballast and the Philips Bodytone starter. Other members here have been able to get SLI/H lamps to ignite using preheat/switchstart gear.

"...lamp has a lower OCV than..."
Lamp does not <have> OCV, ballast has.
A lamp <needs> certain OCV, if the ballast does not provide it, it wont start or run properly.

It is true once you may preheat the filaments there, that is a huge difference, as there is no glow discharge part at all, so no need to support it. But aren't the linear LPS horizontal only?

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 02:57:29 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
"...lamp has a lower OCV than..."
Lamp does not <have> OCV, ballast has.
A lamp <needs> certain OCV, if the ballast does not provide it, it wont start or run properly.

It is true once you may preheat the filaments there, that is a huge difference, as there is no glow discharge part at all, so no need to support it. But aren't the linear LPS horizontal only?

Actually yes. I was imagining that the yardblaster would be used as a remote ballast and a 3 foot fluorescent striplight would be used to hold the lamp in place. What I meant by lower OCV was the lower starting voltage of the lamp.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LPS bulb that works in a MV fixture? « Reply #14 on: October 17, 2020, 09:52:57 PM » Author: funkybulb
 Actually there is such thing 35 watt LPS yard blaster.  Doubled up refractor glued together

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies