Author Topic: SOX Lamp... Round Two  (Read 2114 times)
Zar

View Posts
View Gallery

SOX Lamp... Round Two « on: August 16, 2020, 05:28:54 PM » Author: Zar
Hello; after the 35W SOX lamp for my room, I have decided to replace it with a 18W SOX because the 35W lamp is too much brighter. There is a problem, On Internet It's impossible to find a 18W ballast neither electronic one... So I have this ballast in the picture; I know that never run a lamp on a different ballast but I think It's the only possible solution. If I read right, this Ballast works on lower current then a genuine 18W SOX ballast, in fact It's around 220mA? OK I know it isn't correct current but, it sufficient that the lamp turns on and works safety without heating too much!

Thank you!  :lps: :lps: :lps:     :bal3: :bal3: :bal3:     :'( :'( :'( :'(

Leonardo.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp... Round Two « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 07:06:22 PM » Author: funkybulb
Zar

It depends on what a side of pond your on.
18 watt sox ballast is pretty expensive
  But u want get it around 350 mA
   At 55 arc volt.   So i am thinking
 A common 14 to 20 watt preheat ballast
 And a FS 2 starter perallel with the lamp holder
  Should be enough ignition voltage to strike the
 Lamp.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp... Round Two « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 07:26:16 PM » Author: RadxD461
Hello; after the 35W SOX lamp for my room, I have decided to replace it with a 18W SOX because the 35W lamp is too much brighter. There is a problem, On Internet It's impossible to find a 18W ballast neither electronic one... So I have this ballast in the picture; I know that never run a lamp on a different ballast but I think It's the only possible solution. If I read right, this Ballast works on lower current then a genuine 18W SOX ballast, in fact It's around 220mA? OK I know it isn't correct current but, it sufficient that the lamp turns on and works safety without heating too much!

Leonardo.
fulham Workhorse 2 ballast will work just fine for that.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: SOX Lamp... Round Two « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 12:20:39 AM » Author: dor123

Leonardo.
I don't see problem to use 20/18W T12/T8 fluorescent ballast for the 18W SOX lamp. You can even run it on an electronic ballast for 18W T8 lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Zar

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp... Round Two « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 03:14:39 PM » Author: Zar
The problem is that I have looked everywhere for this 18W ballast... but I did't find anything (also because if I have to buy a 18W SOX ballast I only want a magnetic one). So I bought yesterday a chinese electronic ballast from Aliexpress: this is an electronic one and It can turn on 8-16W I guess T5/T8 fluorescent lamps  :sfl: :sfl: ; so I suppose it could be work to switch on a 18W SOX ballast...?

Thank you,

with regard.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp... Round Two « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 12:34:56 AM » Author: Medved
The problem is that I have looked everywhere for this 18W ballast... but I did't find anything (also because if I have to buy a 18W SOX ballast I only want a magnetic one). So I bought yesterday a chinese electronic ballast from Aliexpress: this is an electronic one and It can turn on 8-16W I guess T5/T8 fluorescent lamps  :sfl: :sfl: ; so I suppose it could be work to switch on a 18W SOX ballast...?

Thank you,

with regard.

I'm affraid that ballast will operate at too low current (the SOX18 require 0.36A, which happens to match the F18T8/F20T12). But rhe lower power fluorescents are designed for lower current: F15T8 at 0.22A, F8T5 at 0.16A,... the fluorescents usually handle the mild undercurrent well (the F15T8 will run at about 10W on 0.16A), but the SOX wont be able to reach its working temperature.
So you really need a proper full power F18T8 ballast.
Other option could be to tie two "PL-S" ballasts (0.17A) in parallel (so to get about 0.34A), the PL-S ones use to be available more often, at least here...

No more selfballasted c***

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp... Round Two « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 04:09:16 AM » Author: James
For my outside light which has 18W SOX, the original magnetic ballast failed recently and I replaced it with a modern electronic ballast for CFL 18W lamps.  The CFL voltage is a bit different than the SOX but actually the ballast is doing a good job and runs the SOX lamp at about 16W.  The lamp probably runs a bit too cool and below its peak efficacy, but the high frequency of the ballast will help improve lamp efficacy somewhat.  I was surprised that the regular preheat-start ballast works just fine, the striking votlage of the 18W SOX lamps is so much lower than CFL that it works with only 2 wires connected to the ballast.
Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp... Round Two « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 11:06:09 AM » Author: Xytrell
There are many electronic fluorescent ballast options that can drive LPS lamps. I like the Fulham Workhorse line myself. The outputs can be paralleled to adjust the output power slightly. I monitor the power draw on a watt meter, then add more of the red ballast output wires in parallel until the power draw exceeds the lamp power by ~10% (to account for ballast losses).

If you use this route, these links may be useful:
https://a89b8e4143ca50438f09-7c1706ba3fabeeda794725d88e4f5e57.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/spec_sheets/files/000/018/049/original/Fulham-Lamp-Chart-brochure.pdf?1442932828
http://site.electricsuppliesonline.com/images/fulham/Fulham-Wiring-Diagram.jpg
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: SOX Lamp... Round Two « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 11:08:51 AM » Author: Rommie
That's useful to know, James. I might try that sometime :lps:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies