Author Topic: Strange vapor inside a NOS incandescent lamp when working  (Read 2067 times)
vytautas_lamps

View Posts
View Gallery

My idol is Mylene Farmer, deal with it.

Strange vapor inside a NOS incandescent lamp when working « on: August 17, 2020, 04:44:28 PM » Author: vytautas_lamps
Sooo today I got myself an NOS soviet 250 watt incandescent heat lamp.. I turned it on and what I observed boggled me. I turned the lamp on, probably for the first time since 1984 and inside the lamp a strange vortex of slightly white vapor started coming off the filament.. I immediately thought that it might be air leak, but as it continued to burn, the filament stopped vaporizing and the remaining vapor was just circulating inside the lamp itself.. I left the damn thing on for 10 minutes and same vapor was still rising and falling but the lamp was okey as any normal incandescent lamp.. What in earth's name is going on????? Has any of you seen this???? I tried my damn hardest to try and make a video of that vapor but my camera Just. Does. Not. Want. To. Pick. Them. Up.  ??? Has any of you seen such an effect in a incandescent lamp, and if so, what could be the cause of it? Maybe some impurities got burned out from the filament? or maybe there was some moisture inside the lamp?? Thank you for replies in advance  ;) ;D

New lighting technologies is a pity fest everywhere you look. From LEDs that last only for two months, to a never-ending global starvation of t8 fluorescent tubes.
We shall reinforce ourselves with good old full mercury t12s and HIDs made to surpass one's life, and give them all the middle finger ;

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Strange vapor inside a NOS incandescent lamp when working « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 05:22:35 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Sooo today I got myself an NOS soviet 250 watt incandescent heat lamp.. I turned it on and what I observed boggled me. I turned the lamp on, probably for the first time since 1984 and inside the lamp a strange vortex of slightly white vapor started coming off the filament.. I immediately thought that it might be air leak, but as it continued to burn, the filament stopped vaporizing and the remaining vapor was just circulating inside the lamp itself.. I left the damn thing on for 10 minutes and same vapor was still rising and falling but the lamp was okey as any normal incandescent lamp.. What in earth's name is going on????? Has any of you seen this???? I tried my damn hardest to try and make a video of that vapor but my camera Just. Does. Not. Want. To. Pick. Them. Up.  ??? Has any of you seen such an effect in a incandescent lamp, and if so, what could be the cause of it? Maybe some impurities got burned out from the filament? or maybe there was some moisture inside the lamp?? Thank you for replies in advance  ;) ;D

I think a small amount of air was sealed in the bulb and then burned it.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strange vapor inside a NOS incandescent lamp when working « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 05:28:21 PM » Author: Jovan
If bulb still works then it can be phosphorus burning from filament which sticks to glass and keeps vacuum inside.After 36 years this is normal.If you want to see is yout bulb holding vacuum fill some bucket with tap water and submerge bulb in water.Is bulb working ? Can you capture the bulb while it's off and try to put bulb on white wallpaper? WARNING
If something happens to bulb I'm not responsible.Do it at your own risk.Message for all people from me :)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strange vapor inside a NOS incandescent lamp when working « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 03:16:44 AM » Author: Ash
If it is moisture then it will keep removing Tungsten from the filament, like a reverse Halogen cycle. What happened to it after it was switched off ?
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Strange vapor inside a NOS incandescent lamp when working « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 04:44:50 AM » Author: James
I think it is probably just the getter, I have seen this on a few older lamps and it also occurs in the factory on every new lamp that is made.  If the factory sent the lamp out without ever lighting it, then the customer will see this effect.  See towards the end of this video of the Philips Pila GLS factory.

If the lamp does have a tiny air leak then the glass bulb will gradually acquire a blueish coating of the low tungsten oxide W2O5.  If there is a moisture impurity in the lamp then the coating on the glass will be black, due to the water cycle transporting tungsten from the filament to the glass.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies