Author Topic: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs  (Read 7293 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « on: February 18, 2009, 07:25:12 PM » Author: Silverliner
Gotta give out some news that may rejoice the green fanatics and irritate us mercury fans. Los Angeles will start changing 140,000 of its 242,000 street lights (the ones changed out will be primarily 100w HPS lights on residential streets, along with 175w mercs and 2500 and 4000 lumen incandescents). The real (and depressing to some) 21st century has begun!

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Clinton-Hails-LAs-shift-to-LED-Street-Lights.html

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:30:12 PM » Author: Mercury Man
Well, one way of looking at it is that there will be more vintage fixtures floating around for us lighting enthusiasts to get our hands on!  I am all for the "green thing", though, but I like to keep the past alive through hanging on to old stuff for my personal enjoyment...when I have something that many others have forgotten about it makes it more special, because it's more rare!  8)
chapman84
Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:52:46 AM » Author: chapman84
That's terrible news, I heard Pittsburgh also wants to replace all 40,000 of their streetlights with LEDs in late 2009 or early 2010.  :(
mercuryvaporisking

View Posts
View Gallery

Another day and another dollar at work!

Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:40:49 PM » Author: mercuryvaporisking
Even I would take HPS over LED, Well the power companys doing this will be in for a real treat when thousands of them Prematurley fail as LED's are known to do, Look at all the LED traffic signals, How many of you guys see banks if not all of them prematurley fail? We had LED traffic signals installed in my area failing in six months. Problem with the government is they have no knowledge of stuff like that and only read whats good on paper.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:44:17 PM by mercuryvaporisking » Logged

Same stuff, Different Day!

chapman84
Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:10:57 PM » Author: chapman84
I'm not big of HPS but yeah I would pick it over LEDs since it is more reliable, that's the only reason I would pick it.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:45 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
That's terrible news, I heard Pittsburgh also wants to replace all 40,000 of their streetlights with LEDs in late 2009 or early 2010.  :(

And it wasn't too long ago when Pittsburgh changed to HPS....wow Pittsburgh its the worst, most wasteful ever!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

chapman84
Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 12:06:07 PM » Author: chapman84
It seems like they're never satisfied with anything. All the work that Duquesne Light did to change out thousands of the last mercury vapor lights still in service to HPS was all in vein and now 4 years later they want to change everything out to LED.
gailgrove

View Posts
View Gallery

MVs at Dusk

Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 01:08:46 PM » Author: gailgrove
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Thats all I can say...

Say no to Induction & LED, HID forever!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 01:28:24 PM » Author: Medved
It seems like they're never satisfied with anything. All the work that Duquesne Light did to change out thousands of the last mercury vapor lights still in service to HPS was all in vein and now 4 years later they want to change everything out to LED.

4years ago the newest hit was HPS, so they rush to swap to HPS. Today's hit are LED, so they swap everything to LED. Everything, everywhere, regardless what is needed and how much it will really cost. Aren't we talking about public organization? I would ask your elected representatives for a regular audit, what was the cost of lighting for each "era" (MV, HPS, LED) and let them make results public... I think they will stop doing this again...

No more selfballasted c***

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 10:12:52 PM » Author: Xytrell
The biggest problem with LEDS is heat removal, and they pick one of the US's hottest cities? Why not Anchorage?
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 11:37:51 PM » Author: tmcdllr
With the reduced energy consumption the power companies will not be happy. You would think they would do something to try to stop this since it will hurt their bottom line. In all this LED changeover crap it's interesting that I haven't heard a peep from any power company. Besides us, I think they would at least be complaining about it. Maybe it's just me. Anybody hear or read anything about what they think about this?

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 11:45:49 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'm not a big fan of these new LED fixtures that is being pushed so hard by the manufacturers. I think that there's still a lot of bugs that need to be fixing before these LEDs are installed en masse. I often see defective LED traffic signals where only half of the signal face illuminates. I also see large electronic LED highway signs with missing pixels too. Besides I think they need to solve the heat sensitivity issue and the issue with the light being too directional and glary.   
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 12:38:08 AM » Author: tmcdllr
l agree. They are jumping the gun. The technology needs to be refined more before they force it on anybody. I think it's just too soon to do this and a waste of money and resources. Maybe in another year or two, but not now. Also, what happens if some of the LEDs fail? Do they have cheap, replacable arrays or does the entire, expensive fixture have to be replaced? If it's the entire fixture then this is stupid... basically change the whole thing because of a burned out bulb, not very cost effective is it?

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 04:09:43 AM » Author: Medved
With the reduced energy consumption the power companies will not be happy. You would think they would do something to try to stop this since it will hurt their bottom line. In all this LED changeover crap it's interesting that I haven't heard a peep from any power company. Besides us, I think they would at least be complaining about it. Maybe it's just me. Anybody hear or read anything about what they think about this?

Well, high power high flux LED's have an efficacy of MV/DX... And nobody install any advanced control to really save the energy, they simply replace lanterns...

No more selfballasted c***

bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Los Angeles to change out to LEDs « Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 03:35:42 PM » Author: bluelights
I don't get this, HPS is more efficient and reliable than LEDs, even MH is more efficient.
LEDs have similar efficacy as coated mercury vapor, but MV is x times more reliable.

For street and area lighting LEDs are simply not up to par with HID, if they'll ever be.

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies