Author Topic: Thorn 200W HO SLI Ballast question  (Read 3126 times)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Thorn 200W HO SLI Ballast question « on: September 06, 2020, 10:37:03 PM » Author: 589
I have one of these that I have already lit and run up on my Fulham workhorse 8 in F96T12VHO configuration successfully (Link below). Total system wattage is 180-190w on it, so a little under-run. I have since purchased a single lamp VHO rapid start ballast to possibly run it up on. I was curious about electrode pre-heating since this lamp has beehive electrodes. Would this be detrimental to them or the ballast if I had both wires to the socket to enable pre-heating? Thanks!

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4450&pos=0&pid=185429

:lps:

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Thorn 200W HO SLI Ballast question « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 04:47:08 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I believe that a 175w M57 probe start MH ballast should allow the 200w SLI/H lamp to strike up on its own due to a slightly higher OCV compared to 175w H39 mercury ballasts. Since 175w probe start MH lamps run at 130v 1.5a and the 200w SLI/H lamp runs at 145v 1.6a, the M57 ballast should be a very close match for running a 200w SLI/H lamp in the USA.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Thorn 200W HO SLI Ballast question « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 06:32:39 AM » Author: 589
that is an interesting observation. ill have to look into that.

:lps:

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Thorn 200W HO SLI Ballast question « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 02:54:12 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I have one of these that I have already lit and run up on my Fulham workhorse 8 in F96T12VHO configuration successfully (Link below). Total system wattage is 180-190w on it, so a little under-run. I have since purchased a single lamp VHO rapid start ballast to possibly run it up on. I was curious about electrode pre-heating since this lamp has beehive electrodes. Would this be detrimental to them or the ballast if I had both wires to the socket to enable pre-heating? Thanks!

You could also use a 175w H39 ballast and a Philips Bodytone starter rated for 120-180w lamps. However, the H39 ballast and starter method will only work with the GEC 200w SLI/H lamp.

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4450&pos=0&pid=185429
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:27:24 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies