Author Topic: Crouse-Hinds FCB-12 Airport Beacon  (Read 1860 times)
boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Crouse-Hinds FCB-12 Airport Beacon « on: September 09, 2020, 12:41:53 AM » Author: boiler1011
So, in my continuing efforts to obtain and preserve historical aviation navigation lighting artifacts, I recently came by a somewhat unique version of the Crouse-Hinds FCB-12. These style beacons are/were extremely popular for obstruction lighting up until newer strobes and then LED took over. You can still find these on many communications towers here in the US, as well as very tall buildings. They are typically dual-lens with either the outer lens being red, or a clear outer lens with a a red inner filter. Like most aviation lighting, the government put out specifications on how this beacon should work/standards it should meet for nighttime navigation. Several manufacturers made beacons almost identical to this model because of the exacting specifications. You can find these branded as Honeywell, Hughey & Phillips, TWR, etc. These beacons use 2, 620W or 700W bulbs and can be operated on 110/220VAC, depending on options.

This particular beacon is of interest to me because it contains a green filter. To my knowledge, this was specifically designed for airport beacon usage. This unit came from Montana DOT-Aeronautics Division as surplus. I believe they were one of the only states to use this kind of stationary beacon. Most places in the USA use rotating beacons of various manufactures (but they all look about the same because they must adhere to the same specifications.) It is my guess that instead of the rotating white/green beacons, MDOT purchased one white/clear beacon, and one green beacon for some of their airports. I would assume that they had an alternating flasher which would light one beacon while the other was off and vice versa, giving the appearance of a rotating beacon. Newer solid-state beacons operate this way with separate omnidirectional LED lamps that alternate from white-green. I have not seen one of these new LED beacons, but know of there existence on a couple of hospitals in West Texas. I think MDOT chose this dual beacon setup for better reliability in harsh winter conditions. I would guess their thought process was that a stationary, alternating setup wouldn't require maintenance on a rotator gear, and would do away with the possibility of the beacon getting stuck due to thick ice on the rotator.

My specific unit appears to be a 110V model, and has the 620W bulbs. It came with the original instructions inside the beacon, as well as unused bulbs. The beacon, while dusty, appears in like-new condition, and I think it was likely never installed. The identification plate is not faded at all, and there is a series number of 66, which leads me to believe this was possibly a 1966 model. The outer seal on the upper fresnel lens seems to be dry rotted, but everything inside is clean and it smells like new, unused electrical equipment from that time period.

If anyone has any information on how these were used, or their application (the green version) I would greatly appreciate info. I might reach out to MDOT to see if they have any information, but I would assume my theory on dual white/green beacon setups to be correct. I have found clear/white only versions for sale from MDOT on surplus auction sites, further confirming my theory. I also am wondering if any of you tower lighting geeks can point me in the direction of a decent flasher unit for this, as it would make a fun conversation piece in my home office or garage lounge. A couple of pictures below. I will try to get it wired up and better daytime pictures added to my gallery soon. Thanks for reading and any info y'all can provide.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crouse-Hinds FCB-12 Airport Beacon « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 01:30:13 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I'm using a FS152-30 flasher  on my TWR300MM  beacon these can be readily found on eBay for relatively cheap ! See Link below :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABB-SSAC-Solid-State-Flasher-FS152-30-1707LF/112908124264

I'm running mine through a 120v relay as this flasher may or may not be able to handle the amp draw from 2- 620w lamps. If you want to make your alternate between green and white just use a SPDT relay with the flasher so when the flasher cycles on , one light is on and when the flasher cycles off , the other light is on .  I'm sure you could easily find the actual correct flasher for your application but I'd guess the price would by much higher .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crouse-Hinds FCB-12 Airport Beacon « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 03:54:47 AM » Author: boiler1011
I'm using a FS152-30 flasher  on my TWR300MM  beacon these can be readily found on eBay for relatively cheap ! See Link below :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABB-SSAC-Solid-State-Flasher-FS152-30-1707LF/112908124264

I'm running mine through a 120v relay as this flasher may or may not be able to handle the amp draw from 2- 620w lamps. If you want to make your alternate between green and white just use a SPDT relay with the flasher so when the flasher cycles on , one light is on and when the flasher cycles off , the other light is on .  I'm sure you could easily find the actual correct flasher for your application but I'd guess the price would by much higher .

Thanks for the info on flashers. I both love and hate these huge bulbs. I wish there was a simple way to retrofit into a lower wattage, but the fresnel are set up in such a way that anything smaller would not be in the correct position to project, not to mention the wonky prefocus sockets these have. I understand why they did them; you can change the bulb with just one hand. Definitely convenient if you've just climbed to the top a 1500' radio tower. The last thing you want to do is twist a bulb out of a mogul socket 25 times before freeing it. These you just press and twist.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crouse-Hinds FCB-12 Airport Beacon « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 09:21:49 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
No problem !  When I got my TWR light i actually looked for Mogul Pre-focus to any std thread lamp base (medium or mogul ) and I also searched for a LED retrofit. NADA on all counts !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies