Author Topic: My area stopped installing HPS too  (Read 1470 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
My area stopped installing HPS too « on: September 26, 2020, 12:20:52 PM » Author: Cole D.
I've noticed lately all of the existing fixtures that get changed are to LED, either the AEL ATB2 or ATBS, and not HPS.

Plus I was in a subdivision today that had hundreds of the AEL spaceship style post tops in HPS, and they have all been replaced with the AEL traditional style post tops, in LED. And all of their cobra fixtures have been changed to AEL ATB2.

So Duke is getting a lot more intensive toward moving to LED fixtures.

And sadly that GE M-400 mercury fixture nearby Publix, has been changed to an LED as well. :( But there's really nothing I can do to get the old fixtures, as I never catch them in the process of changing it, and I doubt they'd give them to me. Since Duke is strict about giving out old lights, which is stupid, because they just throw them away anyhow.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: My area stopped installing HPS too « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 05:50:29 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
CPE still installs HPS, but only for spot replacements (which they put AEL 115s) and LED (Philips Roadfocus RFS,  Elite Star SL3S, or AEL Autobahn ATBX, or ATBMicro) if the customer wants it.

In downtown Tomball, they replaced a couple of dead HPS luminaries with AEL 115 fixtures.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 05:55:20 PM by lightinglover8902 » Logged

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: My area stopped installing HPS too « Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 03:48:54 AM » Author: Silverliner
Southern California Edison still installs HPS and PSMH cobraheads as replacements. Brand new installations are LED now.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: My area stopped installing HPS too « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 11:49:06 AM » Author: HPS_250
Yeah, sadly Southern California Edison stopped installing HPS here too now. LED only except for the occasional (probably extra) Cooper OVH.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

programmedstart277

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My area stopped installing HPS too « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 05:43:30 AM » Author: programmedstart277
I live in a small rural town in northeast Ohio and over the last 2-3 years I've noticed the power company is slowly replacing HPS and MH streetlighting with LED. Now I am all in favor of LEDs in fact most of my home is LED (with the exception of a 4-lamp T8 troffer in the utility room which I will likely never convert to LED unless the ballast dies, even then I'd probably just replace the ballast) but LED streetlighting should not be a thing. The light output is less omnidirectional than HPS and MH and in the center of town where practically all of the streetlights have been converted to LED it seems so much darker at night, reducing visibility when driving. I almost thought about starting a petition to stop them from replacing the lights, as I am not the only one complaining and I think everyone around here would agree with me that LED streetlighting in general, sucks. And to me it's senseless, because the lights are only used at night and the power company maintains them so obviously it's not like they're trying to save energy by converting them to LED. I could see where longetevity might be an issue since LEDs supposedly last forever but the drivers are prone to failure and since the units are integrated the power company would have to replace the entire luminaire. Besides as far as I know most of the MH and HPS lights that are still in use are well over 50 years old and still have their original ballasts. If the bulb fails they can easily be replaced. Hell, there are plenty of incandescent and MV lights that have been in use much longer than that and are still going strong!
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: My area stopped installing HPS too « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 08:24:29 AM » Author: Cole D.
I live in a small rural town in northeast Ohio and over the last 2-3 years I've noticed the power company is slowly replacing HPS and MH streetlighting with LED. Now I am all in favor of LEDs in fact most of my home is LED (with the exception of a 4-lamp T8 troffer in the utility room which I will likely never convert to LED unless the ballast dies, even then I'd probably just replace the ballast) but LED streetlighting should not be a thing. The light output is less omnidirectional than HPS and MH and in the center of town where practically all of the streetlights have been converted to LED it seems so much darker at night, reducing visibility when driving. I almost thought about starting a petition to stop them from replacing the lights, as I am not the only one complaining and I think everyone around here would agree with me that LED streetlighting in general, sucks. And to me it's senseless, because the lights are only used at night and the power company maintains them so obviously it's not like they're trying to save energy by converting them to LED. I could see where longetevity might be an issue since LEDs supposedly last forever but the drivers are prone to failure and since the units are integrated the power company would have to replace the entire luminaire. Besides as far as I know most of the MH and HPS lights that are still in use are well over 50 years old and still have their original ballasts. If the bulb fails they can easily be replaced. Hell, there are plenty of incandescent and MV lights that have been in use much longer than that and are still going strong!

I agree, this is what I don't like about LED is the throw away design of most. Although HPS only started coming out in the late 1960s, and until the late 1980s were much more expensive than MV so most likely the HPS fixtures in your area were made in the 1980s or later. But in my area too there are still mercury fixtures from the 1960s still going too. I doubt the LED fixture will last more than 15 years, and even then would be degraded by then. I keep hearing they last forever but like you say the drivers go bad so the LED itself doesn't really make a difference when the board is bad.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies