Author Topic: Other uses of the ballast?  (Read 6880 times)
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Other uses of the ballast? « on: September 18, 2006, 12:34:49 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Hello guys!

you know I used a preheat start 30-40 watt ballast to light up a 18 watt LPS....
LPS operated by a preheat start ballast

anyway...gave me an idea....can you tell me what other uses I can do with a preheat start 30-40 watt ballast?

Plus what can I do with other kinds of ballast in another uses?

What can I turn on with an Amercian 14-15-20 watt preheat start ballast, what can I turn on with an american rapid start ballast (the ones without the BCP stuff...) and all that?

let me know thanks!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 05:45:46 PM by TudorWhiz » Logged

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

mr_big
Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 06:44:57 PM » Author: mr_big
Overdrive A self-ballasted CFL without the ballast
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 07:07:15 PM » Author: don93s
You can take two 14-15-20w ballasts (the ones with two wires) and connect them in series...one wire from each ballast connected together...and operate a 4-6-8w lamp without frying it.

A 2-40w ballast with cap can also operate 2-30w (t12 36") lamps or  32w and 22w circline lamps. The ballasts with a line current of .67 to .70 amp are best for the circlines. A non-cap ballast would overheat.

As for a non-cap ballast, like the one used on the 18w sox lamp, the best thing to do is first operate the ballast on the smallest rated lamp...example: a 30w/40w ballast use 30w, use a true r.m.s. meter to measure the lamp current and write it down...probably between 200 and 420 ma.  Then operate new lamp in question, and measure the current and make sure current doesn't exceed current of original lamp.

For a rapid start ballast, rember to remove one of the wires after lamp has started and measure from remaining wire or you'll get false reading.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 07:34:36 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
You can take two 14-15-20w ballasts (the ones with two wires) and connect them in series...one wire from each ballast connected together...and operate a 4-6-8w lamp without frying it.

A 2-40w ballast with cap can also operate 2-30w (t12 36") lamps or  32w and 22w circline lamps. The ballasts with a line current of .67 to .70 amp are best for the circlines. A non-cap ballast would overheat.

As for a non-cap ballast, like the one used on the 18w sox lamp, the best thing to do is first operate the ballast on the smallest rated lamp...example: a 30w/40w ballast use 30w, use a true r.m.s. meter to measure the lamp current and write it down...probably between 200 and 420 ma.  Then operate new lamp in question, and measure the current and make sure current doesn't exceed current of original lamp.

For a rapid start ballast, rember to remove one of the wires after lamp has started and measure from remaining wire or you'll get false reading.

hey thanks......how do I test the lamp current for my LPS? I may not have a true R.M.S. meter but I have a nice meter (Phil hates it though) but I can try my meter.....what setting do I use on my meter? am I testing the amps? how do I test it while running it???

Also why would using 2 preheat 20 watt ballast work with the smaller light if the ballast runs higher fluorecent lights?

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 08:22:12 PM » Author: don93s
Meters have different settings but a simple guidline is to start at the highest setting on AC amps. My digital meter goes up to 10 amps. Make sure you use the right meter jacks for amps or you could blow the internal fuse or worse.

Most non-high output preheat lamp ballasts are between 200 and 430 ma with a starting current a little higher so if your meter can read at least up to a couple amps your pretty safe.

Once meter is set up, connect one meter lead to lamp end and the other to ballast wire. (Power is off) The other ballast wire goes to other side of lamp.

Double check connections and meter settings and turn on lamp and observe what the meter says. Once you make note of the readings, repeat same procedure with 18w sox lamp and compare currents. I'd like to hear results  :)

As for the 20w ballasts, when you put two reacter ballasts in series, it cuts the current in half. They are rated at .35 amp and when I put them in series, I ran a 6 watt lamp at .17 amp according to my meter.   
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 05:14:53 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
are you sure a rapid start F40T12 ballast will run a 22 watt circline fixture? It would run properly or would it over drive???? I do not know...but I hope it will work! because I have two 22 watt circline bulbes....so are you telling me I can turn on two 22 watt circline bulbs with a F40T12 ballast???? and not over drive it?

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 05:51:52 PM » Author: don93s
What's up, Tudor,

Above, I mentioned a 32w and 22w, but two 22 watters will work too....IF the ballast is High Power Factor (with cap). Also, for lamps that size, I recommend a ballast with line current of .70 amps or less...it will be a little easier on the lamps.

The 32w/22w fixture at my mom's has a .77 amp ballast and it's worked for ten years and the 32w bulb lasted about 5 years each and the 22w lasted about 3 years each time.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 05:53:41 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
gotcha

mr_big
Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 07:19:33 PM » Author: mr_big
You gotta be careful with that becuase it may just pose a shock hazard if the short that might be created doesn't blow the circuit breaker first
RichD

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 12:40:31 AM » Author: RichD
They also make great paperweights. ;D
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Other uses of the ballast? « Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 12:59:59 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I was thinking of using one as a door stop actually.  :D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies