Author Topic: Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter  (Read 1933 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter « on: October 01, 2020, 12:51:40 AM » Author: joseph_125
Anyone have any suggestions for a decently built 240v 50Hz 12v pure sine wave inverter? I'm not in a immediate need for one but it would nice to have. It would be nice to have a small unit that I could import to Canada for a reasonable price.

If there's a decent quality one available for a reasonable price in North America it could be a viable cheap option for members looking to run 240v 50hz frequency dependent equipment over here.

I'd imagine a VFD set to the right frequency would also work or a proper frequency convertor but those then to be quite expensive.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 08:46:45 PM » Author: sol
Thank you for asking, I'm kind of on the lookout for the same...
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter « Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 12:06:35 AM » Author: funkybulb
What are u trying to run?   If it standard choke ballast then it not really a problem on 60 Hz.   When you dealing
 With choke and a leading cap set up like my 8 ft Popular pack.  Then u have to reduce cap value.  By at least 1 uF or 2.  As current over run the lamp and ballast.  Also the PFC correction cap will be wrong on 60 Hz so I remove them.  It wont affect the lamp brightness but your not billed for power factor.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter « Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 12:10:28 AM » Author: joseph_125
Nothing really in particular but generally a few lights I have that are equipped with chokes. My current way to run them is on 60Hz with a beefy step up transformer. I was more curious to see what low cost pure sine wave options are available for 240v 50Hz inverters.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter « Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 08:47:44 AM » Author: funkybulb
I have ran choke of 50 Hz home made inverter.  I notice chokes run slightly hotter on 50 Hz due longer and slower cycle of A/c that saturate the iron core.  Needing more iron on the choke. One thing I do notice on 50Hz that it is
More flickery on rectifying fluorescent tube at eol.

Only reason why they did 50 Hz it save some coal burning as power plant dont have to turn there rotors
 As fast to generate the power making it bit easier producing it.  I do know in North America all the power plant to turn at 3600 RPM to give it 60 Cycles per sec.
 So it less on 50 Hz.

Any way back to point.  Most small transformers sold in the US will have this 50/60 Hz on the transformer.  Meaning it can take satuation of iron core for 50Hz.  Here
What problem really is any time u have a ballast with leading cap,  such as rapid start.  I remember some austrailain imported a rapid start ballast and tested it.  He tested it saying the lamp runs dimmer than normal.  This cause rapid start is tuned for 60 Hz causing Inverse effect
Running on 50 Hz.  Meaning ballast need more capacitance value added to run the lamp properly.   One thing UK can try is a HX single lamp rapid start ballast but finding a full power one is kinda tricky as most of them under drives the F40s for residental setting.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:16:46 AM by funkybulb » Logged

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter « Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 06:55:09 PM » Author: Michael
The inverter I use currently is a MeanWell TN 1500-212B which is a pure sine wave inverter intended for professional use. A bit costly but well built IMO.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter « Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 01:01:03 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I might want to have a 50hz inverter for running European HID fixtures and to listen to the 50hz mains hum in person.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter « Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 01:14:55 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
If you have a HID multi-tap ballast with 240v tap , connect 120v to the 120 as normal, and wire your load to the 240v tap on the ballast. Cap off lamp wires as they aren't needed. The multitap ballast will step up the 120 to the voltages labeled on the respective input leads. You'll still have 60hz though. Pretty cheap n dirty way of stepping up or down but it works. Best use a ballast rated for higher wattage than the load you connect.

Due to my affiliation, I must state that anyone who tries it is doing so at their own risk.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 01:49:50 AM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Good Quality 240v 50Hz Pure Sine Inverter « Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 01:36:37 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If I operate a British construction light with a 110v ballast, the fixture should be fine on US 120v 60hz mains?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies