Author Topic: Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end?  (Read 1988 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end? « on: October 03, 2020, 02:30:21 PM » Author: Cole D.
At Habitat I saw a 175W Westinghouse Lifeguard /DX lamp. What I thought was odd, is the end of the lamp had white coating but it almost looked like paint overspray, very spotty. It was also very difficult to read the etch, which was white. I thought about getting it, the arc tube looked ok, not darkened, but the end being white was odd to me.

Is this normal, or a manufacturing defect? Or possibly got white paint on it? I thought Westy Lifeguards were all clear ended.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end? « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 06:26:54 PM » Author: Patrick
I do know at least that the later Lifeguard lamps were fully coated, such as this one.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end? « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 09:50:39 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
The dome end on the full coat lifeguards does indeed look rather splotchy and uneven  . Why , I dunno .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end? « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 07:02:36 PM » Author: BT25
The dome end on the full coat lifeguards does indeed look rather splotchy and uneven  . Why , I dunno .
Tim, there's a transitional lamp that was made between the clear top and the fully coated that has a very thin phosphor, and looked rather splotchy. See HERE. Is this what you had in mind?

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end? « Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 08:03:26 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Yep , that would be them .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end? « Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 08:32:23 PM » Author: BT25
Yep , that would be them .
Well if I were you, I'd go back and get it. ;D

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end? « Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 06:40:03 PM » Author: James
Westinghouse introduced full-coated BT bulbs quite early in 1972, but in 1973 they reverted again to clear ends.  This was because they suffered problems of phosphor adhesion in the dome, and when phosphor particles fell onto the arc tube it led to a dramatic reduction in lamp life.  By around 1975 they solved that problem and reverted to the fully coated ends.  So it sounds as though you maybe found one of the early models of 1972/73.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end? « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 10:19:27 PM » Author: Cole D.
I'm go back and get it this week sometime, hopefully. I want it now, after reading the replies. Thanks everyone for the knowledge!  :mv:

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Westy Lifeguard lamp with coated end? « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 11:11:54 PM » Author: HPS_250
Hopefully you can get that lamp! I’d like to add that clear tops continued to be used on high wattage (above 400w) Westinghouse Lifeguard lamps up until 1980. For example, I have a 1000w /DX Lifeguard from 1977 that is still clear top.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies