Author Topic: Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast  (Read 3493 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast « on: October 05, 2020, 05:58:05 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Here is the link to his video:

https://youtu.be/hfKyjLwBlmQ

These bulbs are supposed to be run on HX ballasts, but in this video, he is running it on a 400w M59 CWA ballast.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 06:08:08 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Here is the link to his video:

https://youtu.be/hfKyjLwBlmQ

These bulbs are supposed to be run on HX ballasts, but in this video, he is running it on a 400w M59 CWA ballast.

I guess thats what he had to run the lamp.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 06:09:48 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I guess thats what he had to run the lamp.

In the long run, the lamp’s voltage rise during life will burn out the ballast in a matter of months if used routinely.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 07:22:29 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As of today, he ignored my comments and still uses a CWA ballast to run the Unalux lamp and I personally hate to see a CWA ballast get damaged by a lamp’s voltage rise during life.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 10:51:11 PM » Author: Patrick
But as you state, this would become an issue over time.  I've never heard of a quick demonstration damaging a CWA ballast.  It's good to make sure people to be aware, but I think all of us shouldn't be too hard on each other about test rigs that aren't quite up to spec, unless they pose an imminent threat of damage or injury.

On a side note, I'm curious as to how Unalux was intended to be pronounced.  He says OOO-nalux while I always assumed it was YOU-nalux.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 10:59:57 PM by Patrick » Logged

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 12:30:17 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
From what I have seen, he celebrates certain occasions such as Thanksgiving by illuminating parts of his lighting collection. In his Thanksgiving video, I have seen him operating his 360w Unalux lamp on a CWA ballast.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 12:51:24 AM » Author: tolivac
When I ran these types of bulbs on CWA ballasts-the bulb was more overheated than the ballast.For me 215W GE HPS retrofit bulb on a CWA 250 mercury ballast.250W mercury GE cobrahead light-got this when the lot lights at work replaced with LED-Received the GE HPS retrofit bulb with some mercury ones that were spares.The HPS bubl was the only one in the "spares" stock.Did they get that to try it many years ago?I ran the bulb for awhile-few hours-the ballast did not run hot at all-was marked CWA mercury on the ballast nameplate.The bulb ran hotter than it should.A little "smoke" in the inside of the bulb.It still works.Just don't use it.Don't have a non CWA ballast to run it on.
RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast « Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 10:17:58 AM » Author: RadxD461
When I ran these types of bulbs on CWA ballasts-the bulb was more overheated than the ballast.For me 215W GE HPS retrofit bulb on a CWA 250 mercury ballast.250W mercury GE cobrahead light-got this when the lot lights at work replaced with LED-Received the GE HPS retrofit bulb with some mercury ones that were spares.The HPS bubl was the only one in the "spares" stock.Did they get that to try it many years ago?I ran the bulb for awhile-few hours-the ballast did not run hot at all-was marked CWA mercury on the ballast nameplate.The bulb ran hotter than it should.A little "smoke" in the inside of the bulb.It still works.Just don't use it.Don't have a non CWA ballast to run it on.
He replied to my comment. This is what he said.Ugh, I know what I did. Those ballasts are rare to find nowadays because of stupid LEDs taking over HIDs!

And I do not consider this comment a rude comment.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Frankie L running Unalux 360w lamp on CWA M59 ballast « Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 04:51:45 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
He replied to my comment. This is what he said.Ugh, I know what I did. Those ballasts are rare to find nowadays because of stupid LEDs taking over HIDs!

And I do not consider this comment a rude comment.

So i imagine that his lamp will probably cycle in the near future and that he might eventually talk about his MH ballast failing since he would not know better.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies