Author Topic: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast.  (Read 3347 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « on: October 13, 2020, 07:57:23 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder if people on LG are frequently bullied for operating HID and fluorescent lamps not specified on them. For example, some people might aggressively tell other members that their lamps will burn out quickly or damage the ballast even if the lamps have similar electrical characteristics. For example, has anybody been harassed for operating a S56 HPS lamp on a M102 MH ballast? Personally, I do have this fear when I share my European lamps on lighting gallery or when I share some of my lighting experiments.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 08:20:42 PM » Author: Patrick
I would say there's a line between bullying and genuine concern.  If the setup is safe, then excessive criticism is unjustified.  Likewise, nobody should be harassed for a configuration that may wear out a lamp but otherwise does not pose a hazard.  It's fine to point such issues out if you believe the poster is unaware, but in that case merely make note of it, then let it go.  The exception I see to where a more vehement critique is justified is when the setup puts the individual or those who might wish to imitate it in danger.  Even in that case, once a disclaimer has been put in place, there's generally no justification to continue to berate the individual in question.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Wireman
Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 09:47:05 PM » Author: Wireman
I doubt if anyone here has been bullied for such a thing but I don't think anybody would try running lamps and ballasts that aren't interchangeable as they don't want to risk damage to their collection.
Myself I don't understand why you run lamps on unspecified ballasts and vice versa but I don't say anything as it's your equipment and your business what you do with it.
I will say just be very careful and  work safe.
You're more courageous than me.
Personally I'd be afraid of having one of my lamps explode all over the place if I ran it on an unspecified ballast.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 10:06:44 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I actually had a 50w HPS lamp explode when I was in high school ! I had a couple of wires crossed when I wired it up and when I plugged it in.....  BOOM !!! I was cleaning up shards of glass in my bedroom for literally WEEKS !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 05:41:46 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I imagine that some US enthusiasts often refuse to operate European HID lamps on US gear because these hulbs have NO ANSI code printed on it and they think that European HID bulbs will instantly burn out or damage the ballast because the bulb has NO ANSI code.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 01:39:15 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The type of thinking I seem to see with most US lighting enthusiasts is that they think that ALL HID lamps need a DEDICATED/SPECIFIC BALLAST or else the bulb will BURN OUT instantly or the BALLAST will be instantly rendered unusable. Is there anyone here on lighting gallery from the US who actually thinks this way?

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 01:46:51 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I mean, I haven't thought that way though I know the obvious things. I've ran my 400w MVs on a 400w HPS ballast because I don't have a 400w MV or MH ballast yet. And I've also ran one of my 100w mercury lamps (a cheap, Chinese made Regent lamp) on a 70w HPS ballast just as an experiment and noticed it cycled (and I never did it again).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 01:50:16 AM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 02:24:37 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The type of thinking I seem to see with most US lighting enthusiasts is that they think that ALL HID lamps need a DEDICATED/SPECIFIC BALLAST or else the bulb will BURN OUT instantly or the BALLAST will be instantly rendered unusable. Is there anyone here on lighting gallery from the US who actually thinks this way?
. Beginners will. I used to be one of them in my early days and I'm still weary of mismatching at times with the higher wattages.

Administrator #5

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 02:55:23 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
There are people who will think that probe start MH ballasts will only operate MV lamps on them when the ballast shows a MV ANSI code:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 09:29:56 AM » Author: Medved
The truth is, the only guaranteed lmp/ballast combination is the one rated by their makers. But it does not say some other combinations wont work (e.g. the MV on a probe MH ballast), or the fact you may build nearly matching ballast using components from other ballasts (e.g. operating 100W MV on a 70W pulse-MH with ignitor disconnected).
The problem is, you have to know electrical properties and requirements to judge this and you have to be prepared for a case where you may make a mistake in assessment it and blow the lamp or ballast as a result.

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 11:33:28 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
You'll have to accept that not everyone is going to think the same when it comes to mismatched lamps and ballasts.

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 11:35:18 AM » Author: Rommie
I've always been a perfectionist and will rarely operate a lamp on a ballast that was not designed for it, even if the specifications are similar. The only times I have not abided by this rule is where I have a lamp that the ballast for is unobtainable, such as the 200W SLI/H lamps we have. But I never leave them running unattended and only run them for short periods of an hour or so, in order to minimise any risk of damage to lamp or ballast.

I wouldn't bully or berate someone for doing it though, it's their lamp/ballast and their risk. I might possibly warn them of problems, but that's as far as I'd go.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 11:43:12 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I agree with Medved  on this . There are indeed many different lamp/ballast combinations that will work together , some are even stated on the ballast label. . The problem is there is no proven data that I've seen that will guarantee the performance and reliability in the long term running dusk to dawn for years on end for some of the combos. Even some of the "approved" combinations are not exact matches for the OEM design. case in point , MV on a probe start MH ballast . Yes it works . Yes it's listed as "acceptable" right on the ballast.  HOWEVER , if you compare the specs on a dedicated H-36 1000w MV ballast to the specs on a H-36/M-47  MV/probe start metal halide ballast the numbers are totally different !  I know that MV lamps are incredibly tolerant of wide variations in ballast specs therefore since the corresponding MH values are "close" , it will work fine .   I personally am very leery of running up a rare HID lamp due to the many unknowns and "what ifs" of doing so.  I personally rather have a static display lamp than take the risk , regardless of how minimal , of having some form of "accident" occur.

That being said  : Would I be wiling to try some different possibilities with "dime a dozen" , easy to find common items? Sure .  Hard to find or rare items ? NO CHANCE IN HELL !

Are there members who would taunt , threaten , or bully other members for experimenting with different combos ? I'd think there are more who would be VERY nervous and unwilling to try it than anything else .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 02:18:23 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Has someone actually been told something along the lines as “Hey, this 35w SOX lamp will burn out instantly BECAUSE it is operated on a 39w MH ballast!” even though the bulb works fine.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Getting bullied on LG for operating lamps on the wrong ballast. « Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 02:23:47 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I imagine people often get told stuff like “YOU MUST NEVER OPERATE FLUORESCENT TUBES ON HID BALLASTS.” and stuff like “YOU MUST NEVER OPERATE VHO AND HO FLUORESCENT TUBES ON PREHEAT BALLASTS.” “THEY WILL BURN OUT INSTANTLY.”

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies