Author Topic: Does anyone know the halide salt chemistry for colored metal halide lamps?  (Read 1300 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Does anyone know the halide salt chemistry for colored metal halide lamps? « on: October 17, 2020, 07:20:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In case anyone was curious, what halide salts are used to give colored metal halide lamps their distinctive colors?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Does anyone know the halide salt chemistry for colored metal halide lamps? « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 09:50:41 PM » Author: dor123
Green: Thallium, Blue: Indium, Pink: Indium, sodium and lithium.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone know the halide salt chemistry for colored metal halide lamps? « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 01:00:46 AM » Author: tolivac
For most lamp makers except Eye-the lamp makers get their halide salt mixes from Anderson Physics labs.Also HPS lamp amalgams.Dr Anderson is the Physicist that came up with the formulas for the halide salts and HPS lamp amalgams.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone know the halide salt chemistry for colored metal halide lamps? « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 02:04:51 AM » Author: Medved
For most lamp makers except Eye-the lamp makers get their halide salt mixes from Anderson Physics labs.Also HPS lamp amalgams.Dr Anderson is the Physicist that came up with the formulas for the halide salts and HPS lamp amalgams.

One thing is, who is manufacturing them, the other question is, who is designing the composition.

Many these suppliers deliver the composition on a custom order, without exactly knowing why the composition is to be like that. So when some composition (or the mix itself) leaks out to some shady lamp makers who try to copy the lamp, they usually fail because many details are still hidden from them.
Of course, the get some of the info from the lamp developers when they are fine tuning the composition, but generally it is lamp makers "know how".

No more selfballasted c***

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does anyone know the halide salt chemistry for colored metal halide lamps? « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:35:07 AM » Author: James
APL did not develop the chemical fills for the different lamps, they instead developed a very elegant method for the manufacturing of extreme high purity anhydrous salts in the form of precisely dimensioned spheres.  These make lamp production considerably easier, therefore most lampmakers eventually switched to buying their halide pills from APL.

Within APL they have impressive levels of confidentiality.  Different R&D teams are assigned to each customer with a proper firewall to prevent that proprietary chemistries could be leaked from one customer to another.

In addition to above mixes, a beautiful rich yellow can be created by mixing sodium with thallium, but only BLV produces that. Different shades of blue are often made by using gadolinium iodides.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Does anyone know the halide salt chemistry for colored metal halide lamps? « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 08:11:00 AM » Author: dor123
In addition to above mixes, a beautiful rich yellow can be created by mixing sodium with thallium, but only BLV produces that. Different shades of blue are often made by using gadolinium iodides.
I'm wondering if my Aqua Light 70W/10000 MH lamp I've bought at Aliexpress, contains dysprosium-gadolinium or gadolinium alone, as it produces 10000K blue white light , despite having rare-earths instead of broad self-reversed indium: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-187378

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies