Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a preheat 2x4 fluorescent troffer for drop ceilings?  (Read 1487 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Is there such a thing as a preheat 2x4 fluorescent troffer for drop ceilings? « on: October 18, 2020, 07:23:38 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Does anyone know if 2x4 F40T12 troffers with preheat ballasts exist in the US?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there such a thing as a preheat 2x4 fluorescent troffer for drop ceilings? « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 07:43:36 PM » Author: sol
If they exist (I think they do), they are very, very old. If you're looking for one, your best bet is finding one that can accommodate a preheat ballast after the fact (or two 1-lamp chokes).
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Is there such a thing as a preheat 2x4 fluorescent troffer for drop ceilings? « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 11:14:18 PM » Author: dor123
American preheat ballasts for F40T12 are usually available for 2 lamp max. For more lamps, I know only rapid-start ballasts.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there such a thing as a preheat 2x4 fluorescent troffer for drop ceilings? « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 11:20:46 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
American preheat ballasts for F40T12 are usually available for 2 lamp max. For more lamps, I know only rapid-start ballasts.

Actually, many US 4 lamp troffers used 2 ballasts that operate 2 F40T12 lamps in series.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is there such a thing as a preheat 2x4 fluorescent troffer for drop ceilings? « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 11:41:05 PM » Author: joseph_125
Early troffers like these Daybrite units from 1941 were preheat. The 1x4 size was more common back then, probably because 1x1 tile ceilings were more common back then compared to 2x4 T bar ceilings. The troffers in that catalogue were all preheat and a 2x4 model was also made.

Early troffers were typically a lot deeper compared to modern troffers and had the ballast above the lamps. I've seen a 1x4 one before, it was from the 1950s and had a huge 25/60Hz ballast. The ballast was the size of a modern VHO one.   

Converting a rapid start T12 troffer to use preheat is fairly straightforward. You'll need 2 modern (post 1950s) tulamp preheat ballasts which have the exact same mounting as a 2xF40 ballast. You'll need to get starter sockets and drill 4 holes in the ballast cover for the starters though.

BTW, preheat F40 ballasts were made in a 3 lamp lag-lead-lag configuration and 4 lamp series F40 rapid start ballasts were made at one point too. Those never really took off and most troffers continued to be fitted with 2 2 lamp ballasts until they stopped making new magnetic F40T12 troffers in around 2005 or so.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:59:28 AM by joseph_125 » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is there such a thing as a preheat 2x4 fluorescent troffer for drop ceilings? « Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 01:03:18 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I also added a FS2 starter to a manual preheat undercabinet light and I hid the starter.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies