Author Topic: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains  (Read 1863 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « on: October 20, 2020, 04:12:20 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Are there any magnetic fluorescent ballasts in the USA that would run on 120v and have a 240v OCV and would fire a 18w SOX lamp and get it to run this lamp without underdriving or overdriving the lamp? I am trying to see if such magnetic fluorescent ballasts exist. I do not want to resort to electronic ballasts.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 05:06:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I just got an idea: Should a F24T12 slimline magnetic ballast be able to operate a 18w SOX lamp well?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 05:21:36 PM » Author: Ash
Would using a step up transformer + separate "230V 18W" ballast be suitable for you ?

In fact, you could use an HX ballast for some HID lamp as the step up transformer + a suitable choke ballast for the SOX lamp's current from the HX output voltage (probably not too far off 230V, and you can make up for any differences by choosing a suitable choke). This would work because the SOX lamp current draw is less than that of the HID lamp is intended for, so it can do the step up function (plus some small part of the ballasting), and then you complete the required ballasting by an additional ballast
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 06:06:26 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am also interested in seeing if a F24T12 slimline instant start magnetic ballast will work fine?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 06:52:59 PM » Author: Medved
I am also interested in seeing if a F24T12 slimline instant start magnetic ballast will work fine?

What are the electrical specs for the lamp?
Mainly the arc current? Remember: Lamp arc current, not ballast mains input (the second one uses to be printed on the ballast label, so that tells nothing).
If matches the 0.36A of the SOX, it should work. Otherwise it won't.

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 07:35:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
What are the electrical specs for the lamp?
Mainly the arc current? Remember: Lamp arc current, not ballast mains input (the second one uses to be printed on the ballast label, so that tells nothing).
If matches the 0.36A of the SOX, it should work. Otherwise it won't.

I understand that F24 slimlines run at 430mA, should it burn out instantly?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 01:38:19 AM » Author: Medved
Maybe not instantly, but it will certainly damage the 0.36A SOX in quite a short time.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 01:49:14 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Maybe not instantly, but it will certainly damage the 0.36A SOX in quite a short time.

So, if the bulb is on a slimline ballast, it will have a lifetime of a few months assuming the arc voltage of a F24T12 slimline is 57v?

I personally do not see any mention of arc voltage for the F24T12. I would like someone to help me with this.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:41:14 AM » Author: Medved
What is important is the current the ballast delivers, not that much the arc voltage.
The voltage will always be imposed by the lamp, the current is the parameter dictated mainly by the ballast.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Affordable magnetic ballast for 18w SOX lamps for 120v mains « Reply #9 on: December 15, 2021, 08:54:30 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I realized that since 277v F20T12 fluorescent ballasts exist in North America, I might try those in conjunction with a step up transformer and FS4 fluorescent starter.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies