Author Topic: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast?  (Read 1897 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « on: October 26, 2020, 12:16:34 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am wondering if there will be any problems that I would run into when I operate 2 F48T12 VHO or F48PG17 tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 preheat ballast?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 01:24:50 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
I believe the spec's are pretty different, so wouldn't risk it!
(you could probably do a few minute test with no issues though)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 01:26:07 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am just curious about the arc voltages for HO and VHO tubes.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 01:30:36 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am just interested in looking for ways to preheat vho and ho fluorescent tubes.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 01:34:25 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I do understand that both F90T17 lamps and vho lamps are both rated at 1.5a. I just feel that people do not want to provide information about their arc voltages so that we think vho and ho tubes will instantly burn out on preheat ballasts.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 03:09:44 AM » Author: Medved
I do understand that both F90T17 lamps and vho lamps are both rated at 1.5a. I just feel that people do not want to provide information about their arc voltages so that we think vho and ho tubes will instantly burn out on preheat ballasts.

If you know the rated current and power, you may calculate the arc voltage yourself:

V = P / I / PF

PF is a waveform shape mismatch related power factor, with about a sinewave current (and the arc voltage is always rectangular) it is about 0.9 (= sqrt(8) / pi).

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 03:11:09 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
what does the I stand for?

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 06:55:44 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I believe the spec's are pretty different, so wouldn't risk it!
(you could probably do a few minute test with no issues though)

I believe the arc voltage of the F48T12 VHO would be about 85v.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 09:46:36 AM » Author: funkybulb
  Yes that about right

I did experiented with this
  Using 4x 20 watt ballast
  With a high incoming line volt
 128.  I have a you tube video
  Preheating one.   12

But running one on T17 90 watt mag
  Would result in lower drive current as
 Higher OCV.   It prolly would work but
   It wont hurt the ballast cause u have higher
 Arc voltage lamps on there.   Now if u put a F24T12VHO
 On it then that different story. 

When I experiments the Unknown,  u get your current meter out and your volt meter.   Once u have some known value
  U can get the idea to see what works and what dont works and a good match or not.  Just have at it and have fun, 

I did stuff like 20 watt chokes and cap on F40 tube.  That works.

I even tried  8ft slimeline on 2x 40 watt rapid start
 Shunted  on that ballast.   Now i found out why it would
Not work first  our rapid start ballast bit over lamp arc voltage
 And using cathode heating.  Using the ocv to limit the current

I found this out why it did not work until i reverse engineer a common 2 lamp advance rapid start ballast and calulated the turn ratio and voltage.   About all u can do with a two lamp rapid start is preheat one F40T12 as it have 200 volt OCV
  And I wired one like a single lamp preheat ballast only using 3 wires out of the 2 lamp rapid start. 

That why i go to scrap yard and buy F40T12 ballast
 Test them.  Ones got badcathode heating output i take those
And convert those ballast over to 1 lamp preheat.

Also I am making my own preheat ballast now from junk rapid
Start ballast.   And using thicker wire i am making my own Fcan
Mercury ballast. For 50 watt and 80 watts.  80 watts ballast is easy as we  have  HO  ballast.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 03:19:05 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am thinking I might preheat a F48T12 VHO tube by wiring 2 US 50w M110 pulse start metal halide ballasts in parallel with the ignitors removed on both ballasts and using a tanning bed starter to preheat the lamp. These MH ballasts wired in parallel will run the lamp at 85v 1.6a which is only slightly over the 85v 1.0a that is needed for the lamp to operate.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 05:34:14 PM » Author: funkybulb
Be sure put some low voltage lamp in series with the starter
 To eat up some of voltage so  u dont blow the cathodes

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 05:37:37 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder how the low voltage lamp in series with the starter is necessary for a F48T12 VHO preheat setup involving 2 50w MH ballasts wired in parallel.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 09:10:40 PM » Author: funkybulb
 When  u have 4 volt cathodes  on each end.   The  preheating  mode it 8 volt a may be bit much and blow the cathode. if u add 12 volt volt lamp in series With starter  it becomes 20 volt as most preheat cathode is 18 volt combine in series 

I had to do this even on my F90T17  using  4 x 20 watt  preheat choke.   If i did not do this it would glow very brightly
  And this burns off the emitter and u domt want that.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 11:00:32 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
what does the I stand for?
I is current.

Quote from: =WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I do understand that both F90T17 lamps and vho lamps are both rated at 1.5a.
Yes, both are 1.5a (1500ma)
F90T17 is 1500ma/90w, so approx 60v
F48 VHO is 1500ma/110w, so approx 73v
F36 VHO is 1500ma/95w, so approx 63v

Note: I say "approx volts", because the little windows app I made years ago for electric calculations works based on straight DC amps/volts/watts ... with fluorescent you start involving things like chokes & capacitors (and the odd properties of a fluorescent lamp itself), the voltage will actually be alittle different than what I show here.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I run 2 F48T12 VHO tubes on a 2 lamp F90T17 ballast? « Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 01:00:55 PM » Author: funkybulb
  There  u hace it Preheat VHO

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2193&pos=67&pid=87575

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies