Author Topic: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights  (Read 1708 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « on: October 27, 2020, 08:12:45 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Today, I have saved a 200w HPS ballast from a roadkilled street lantern and I have several more. Does anyone else save downed street lights from car crashes?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 08:24:42 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've grabbed more than my share over the last 35 years . I'll save what's useable and scrap the remainder.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 08:26:45 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
With some of my roadkilled HPS ballasts, I was unable to strike the proper lamp on the ballast even though it was wired properly. I wonder why this is so.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:29:21 PM » Author: Bulbman256
There was an accident that knocked a light off the pole near me that was not there the day before when i walked by but i could not find the light :sadbulb:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 08:29:25 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Either damaged something in the coil itself or bad capacitor or starter .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

LightDragon

View Posts
View Gallery

Street luminaire collector of any kind.

Re: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 04:54:01 PM » Author: LightDragon
yes ive saved many!

I am a Cooper OVD fan! Also mercury vapor is the best light there is...

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 09:52:21 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
At a local harbor freight, a light fell down that I may save it. Though I’ll have to run the risk of it being 480v.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 03:51:57 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Many times

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 03:27:22 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The important thing that you have to remember is that until you get permission from the owner of the fixture it will be classed as theft.!  :police:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Has anyone saved any ballasts, ignitors, and bulbs from roadkilled street lights « Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 06:07:54 PM » Author: HPS_250
The only knocked down fixture I have seen in my area was a Leotek LED. The fixture was completely destroyed, and from what I could tell there was nothing salvageable except a few wire nuts and the photocell. I wouldn’t have interest in saving LED parts anyway.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies