Author Topic: How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely?  (Read 1662 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely? « on: October 27, 2020, 10:27:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder if there is a way to safely operate a UV germicidal bulb such as a germicidal PL lamp or a clear linear low pressure mercury vapor lamp that fits into fluorescent fixtures?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely? « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 12:30:03 AM » Author: Lumex120
You can stick it inside a glass jar as that will block out most of the UV-C.

Unofficial LG Discord

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely? « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 10:41:24 AM » Author: Xytrell
Virtually all household materials block UVC. Something as simple as running it with the diffuser on the fixture will prevent UV exposure, especially if the diffuser is plastic of some sort. However, this will deteriorate most plastics or other organics rapidly, and they will begin to crumble in a matter of weeks or months.

If you're attempting to irradiate something, any barrier between it and you will suffice.

It is not the substance, but the dose, that makes the poison. Keep your exposure low - a few seconds at close range. Inverse square law applies, so having it 3 meters from you instead of 0.3 meters means a reduction of not 90%, but 99%
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely? « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 11:41:36 AM » Author: Medved
Depend what do you mean by "operate".

If just a showcase to show it running, then a box with a glass "window" is good enough.

If you really want to disinfect a room, then best is to use some kind of timer control (the timer is thebest, because it maintains the dosage consistent) or at least extension cord passing just through cracked-open door, so mainly your eyes dont get any exposure. Then of course immediately after use you should ventilate the room by open window (to get rid of the ozone; during the disinfection the ozone is better to keep in the room so it will disinfect even surfaces not directly exposed).
And make the control so it can never get activated accidentally (so disconnect from the socket immediately after use).

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely? « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 10:04:48 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Should it be safe to operate a germicidal low pressure mercury vapor lamp for fun in a fixture that uses a glass diffuser? I am interested in looking for safe ways to safely operate germicidal low pressure mercury vapor lamps because I am looking to build a multi lamp preheat linear fluorescent fixture that uses both regular fluorescent tubes and linear germicidal low pressure mercury vapor germicidal lamps and a multi lamp preheat PL-L fluorescent fixture that uses both regular PL-L fluorescent lamps and germicidal PL-L fluorescent lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely? « Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 01:17:27 AM » Author: Medved
Still even when you manage to stop the UV (ordinary glass should do a good job there), you have the problem with Ozone generated within the fixture. Either it will escape through the vents, or you seal all the vents, but then things within the fixture will overheat.
So maybe only operate that display case when well ventilated outside, so the O3 wont accumulate in your room...

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely? « Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 11:39:44 AM » Author: Rommie
Ozone isn't always a problem, it depends on the lamp. The Philips TUV6 lamp we have doesn't output anything in the ozone-generating region of UV, so it's fine as long as there is glass between you and it. We use a large beer glass, which works well, but then we're not trying to irradiate anything with it.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely? « Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 01:36:36 AM » Author: Medved
Well, I've met Philips germicidal lamps (15W T8 size), labeled as "ozone free", yet they still are very "ozone-smelly" when on. For my use I don't care (I see it more as a plus - it treats areas in the shadows; and the room gets ventilated after the treatment anyway), but to breathe that, I would not trust it. Of course, I'm not sure it is really the ozone, but still I just don't trust it.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How can I operate a germicidal UV lamp safely? « Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 10:00:37 AM » Author: Rommie
Well like you, I can only speak from my own experience. I've never had any of the fluorescent-style germicidal lamps, I only have a couple of these TUV6 lamps, and I certainly can't smell any ozone from either of them.

One came from an EPROM eraser and the other was used in a school laboratory, I believe it was used for experiments with a gold leaf electroscope. I don't think ozone would have been welcome in either of those applications.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies