Author Topic: Why PL fluorescent fixtures gets dirty with carbon  (Read 1270 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Why PL fluorescent fixtures gets dirty with carbon « on: October 30, 2020, 09:42:40 AM » Author: Binarix128
When looking at PL fixtures in shopping malls or cleaning them for my collection there's a notable black carbon stuff stacked in the reflector like with oil lamps. What's causing that carbon to formate? Is the plastic of the base being degraded?
  ???
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why PL fluorescent fixtures gets dirty with carbon « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 12:14:04 PM » Author: Medved
It is the normal mess flying in the air all the time, the fixture is just attracting and collecting it.
It is not carbon, but decomposed matter from clothing, maybe construction materials, maybe some grease from kitchen,...
All distributed around the house by the heating air ducting (if you are using hot air central heating).

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Why PL fluorescent fixtures gets dirty with carbon « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 10:00:02 PM » Author: Binarix128
Is it caused by the UV light, heat or both? I've seen the Sam carbonization effect with CFLs, but not with incandescents which run hotter.  :wndr:
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why PL fluorescent fixtures gets dirty with carbon « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 02:18:11 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
From my imagination, insects often get attracted to these fixtures and often end up on the lowermost part of the shade when they die.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why PL fluorescent fixtures gets dirty with carbon « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 03:02:21 AM » Author: Medved
Is it caused by the UV light, heat or both? I've seen the Sam carbonization effect with CFLs, but not with incandescents which run hotter.  :wndr:

The heat of the incandescents makes the grease from the dirt to evaporate before it touches the bulb, so the residue is then less sticky. Plus the air moves there faster, so it blows tge dry residues away.
With fluorescents maybe tye bare tube is able to evaporate the grease, but the reflector is colder so it condenses back there.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies