Author Topic: Are there any countries in the world that have outright banned HID lighting?  (Read 1152 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Are there any countries in the world that have outright banned HID lighting? « on: October 30, 2020, 07:41:12 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Are there any countries in the world that have governments banning the sale, manufacture, and import of all HID lamps, ballasts, AND fixtures and every NON-LED light source?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Are there any countries in the world that have outright banned HID lighting? « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 10:17:21 PM » Author: Binarix128
I don't have knowledge of such countries, but what I can tell you is that the Europe will be the first place in the world that will apply the LED monopoly, as how they did with CFL bulbs back in the day (considering that no other technology has come yet).

But even if you want to ban all lighting and only leave LED, it's impossible to keep LED as a 100% of the lighting, because of niche products and special applications, for example: Oven lights, they should be incandescent, because they need to support up to 300 degrees, and you can't put a pile of cheap plastic at 300 degrees, would you?  :lol:

Things that are not directly lighting like plasma balls, how boring would be an "LED plasma ball".

Infrared therapy or food heating incandescent bulbs, the only way to replicate it is using the back of the LED as a heater.

And it goes on... you can't impose the LED monopoly at a 100%, as I said before...
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any countries in the world that have outright banned HID lighting? « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 03:14:26 AM » Author: Medved
The "bans" in Europe apply only for general lighting, all special applications are exempt. For example rough service, signal, high temperature, nonstandard voltage incandescents (vs general lighting incandescent ban), SBMVs (vs even more efficient MV; on account of "special spectrum") are OK.
The official stand is "if the sales are minimal, we continue to consider it special purpose and maintain exemption".

No more selfballasted c***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any countries in the world that have outright banned HID lighting? « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 06:39:43 AM » Author: sol
Regarding oven lights, I wouldn't be surprised if manufacurers tried a glass LED light pipe with the LED source somewhere else in the appliance, protected from the direct heat of the oven. It will, however, take a while to be accepted, mainly on account of the additional cost. Such technology has been used for a number of years to install MH in museum display cases where the heat and UV of lamps in proximity would be objectionable.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any countries in the world that have outright banned HID lighting? « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2020, 04:02:18 PM » Author: Medved
Regarding oven lights, I wouldn't be surprised if manufacurers tried a glass LED light pipe with the LED source somewhere else in the appliance, protected from the direct heat of the oven.

Common way is to put the LEDs into the door, so lighting through the inner glass.
Here the shift to LEDs would be more a cost saving measure than anything else. The high temperature installation is rather expensive, so getting rid of at least part of it makes the oven manufacture cheaper. But the door installation isn't cheap either, so we will see where it will go.
Definitely it makes no sense energy wise, even to the contrary: The heat from the incandescent is not wasted in this case (they contribute to the oven heating, so the thermostat throttles the heater back by the 15..25W the light consumes), but losses from the LED circuit are wasted (they don't contribute)

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies