Author Topic: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps?  (Read 1917 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « on: October 30, 2020, 08:42:54 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am curious about this question because I do have a SLI/H lamp that dates to 1976 and it seems to run fine on a US 50w pulse start metal halide ballast without any problems. Am I right in knowing that pulse start MH lamps for the US market were first developed in the 1990s? If this lamp technology was developed fairly recently, I would find it interesting to be using a lamp that was phased out on a ballast that was not even invented at the time of the lamp’s phase out.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:47:01 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 11:08:42 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
GE had a "projected release date" of 4th quarter 1980 for the 175w Multi-Vapor 2 lamp which is their original pulse start metal halide lamp . This lamp had a E-23 1/2 bulb and had the electronic ignitor built into the base and ran on the standard M-57 175w MH ballast. GE's later versions were the Halarc PSMH which was originally available as the Miser 55w Maxi Light SBMH (1981-84) which used the same arc-tube as the 32w Halarc PSMH and finally the modern Pulse-arc lamps. Now, did other manufacturers release a version of the PSMH earlier, I don't know. I'm going off what I know from my older GE catalogs.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2020, 05:58:01 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
GE had a "projected release date" of 4th quarter 1980 for the 175w Multi-Vapor 2 lamp which is their original pulse start metal halide lamp . This lamp had a E-23 1/2 bulb and had the electronic ignitor built into the base and ran on the standard M-57 175w MH ballast. GE's later versions were the Halarc PSMH which was originally available as the Miser 55w Maxi Light SBMH (1981-84) which used the same arc-tube as the 32w Halarc PSMH and finally the modern Pulse-arc lamps. Now, did other manufacturers release a version of the PSMH earlier, I don't know. I'm going off what I know from my older GE catalogs.

I might see how the multi vapor 2 lamp will perform on a H39 ballast if I ever stumble across one.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #3 on: October 31, 2020, 10:37:33 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Here is a slightly newer version of the Multi-Vapor 2 : https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-MXR175-VBU-HO-Lamp-11417-R-HALARC-Metal-Halide-Lamps-175-Watt-NEW/272655582395  It still uses the standard M-57 ballast as the original lamp and has the ignitor in the base as the original did.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 05:04:08 PM » Author: Silverliner
I have a couple of these lamps. The very first ones had a brass collar above the base. Still haven't found one.

To answer your question the first PSMH lamps to use an external ignitor in the USA would probably be the Sylvania 100w MH lamp introduced in the mid 1980s. PSMH lamps in 175w and up came out in the late 1990s.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 12:55:28 AM » Author: tolivac
GE 175W "Halarc" lamps have an internal ignitor so they could be used on standard probe start MH ballasts.Have one in my collection.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 06:37:52 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
GE 175W "Halarc" lamps have an internal ignitor so they could be used on standard probe start MH ballasts.Have one in my collection.

If I get one I would love to see how it would behave on a 175w H39 MV ballast.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 12:51:51 AM » Author: tolivac
Sadly the GE 175W Halarc lamps are NLA.Would be interesting to see if it could work from a mercury ballast.Standard 175W MH probe start lamps can work from a mercury ballast when new.Old not so good.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 01:18:33 AM » Author: Silverliner
In my experience the Halarc 175w lamps are difficult to start on MV ballasts.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 12:51:36 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It would be pretty funny if I can use a European 750v 2 wire parallel ignitor to start this particular internally ingited halarc lamp more reliably on H39 gear.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: When did the US first use pulse start metal halide lamps? « Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 03:37:13 PM » Author: Ash
I think pulse start as technology can be traced to the 70's (maybe late 60's) for 2 reasons :
]
1. The introduction of HPS, which requires Pulse Start gear (sealing a probe into a ceramic arctube would be way too complicated to manufacture)

2. The rising availability and dropping cost of Diacs and Thyristors, which enabled the production of fairly simple and low cost electronic ignitors. (Some very old ignitors used a spark gap as their switching component instead)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies