Author Topic: Newer All Glass Filament LED (like GE HD trio)  (Read 1218 times)
MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

Newer All Glass Filament LED (like GE HD trio) « on: October 31, 2020, 04:56:05 PM » Author: MikeT1982
Hey guys, Happy Halloween!  :lps: 🎃

So, I’ve been increasingly “liking”  these new design LED but it’s just temptation. Mind you I still run full house on halogen incandescent Sylvania and T8 fluorescent Sylvania. But I really like the design and it seems like the companies are making progress to replicate incandescent very well and these are available and three flavors, 2700k warm relax, medium reveal, and 5k refresh as ya’s know. I do admire them. My parents who have half old school and a half new school plastic style that I hate just bought a pair of 100 W equivalent refresh and they are gorgeous. What blows my mind is what happened to all the power supply gear, they don’t flicker but appear directly driven like the blue led coated with yellow phosphor “filaments” seriesed directly to the mains like old school tungsten filaments. I have to be missing something thus am here. Hahaa! But good Job GE wonderful and the only LED I’d happily  purchase and this is from someone who hoarded incandescent lol. They’re just a little pricey, and I wish that they were at least USA assembled  like my Sylvania incandescent. They appear to be made in China but done so very well. So I don’t have too much of a problem with it as long as the quality is good I can except that no problem. Well just a little bit of a problem LOL. Sylvania and Philips all glass still seem to have part of a ceramic base. That is why I prefer the GE so far.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 04:59:27 PM by MikeT1982 » Logged
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Newer All Glass Filament LED (like GE HD trio) « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2020, 05:46:40 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Their certainly getting better as time goes on, to date I currently have 44 LED lamps in use at home, ( both inside and out), and the only early failures I’ve had are just 2 MegaMans!
I’ve got one made by Energetic that’s now on 39,000 + hour’s, and still the same colour and brightness as it was when it went in!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

MikeT1982

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Newer All Glass Filament LED (like GE HD trio) « Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 04:10:22 PM » Author: MikeT1982
Ok guys I apologize for this question as it’s clearly answered by a simple search on Wikipedia for “filament led”. Let me tell you I am quite excited to hear that Ushio patented the filament led, that’s nuts as I remember them being a high end reef aquarium light, notably the first metal halide to push 14k or 20k for reefers I think. My close “grandma” figure as a child ran a saltwater shop and I would spend afternoons helping her mostly as I liked the VHO actinic and Metal Halide fixtures lol. And it was free exposure to an expensive hobby I could not afford. But anyways I also learned of the simple resistor and capacitor combo hidden in the base and used to limit current and rectify flicker. I tried with these GE bulbs to produce flicker )wave hand check) as if ANY flicker is detected it drives me nuts. I detect my HPS flicker oddly but it’s outside, the MV and SOX don’t seem too be detected by myself even with waving hand. That choppy look while waving hand fast, vs smooth blur doing it in sunlight outside is my personal test for annoyance LoL! Of it passes that it doesn’t bother me. HPS and Choke fluorescents both I love but can get the strobe effect this way.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:12:12 PM by MikeT1982 » Logged
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Newer All Glass Filament LED (like GE HD trio) « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 04:52:16 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
I buy the new frosted GE filament LEDs, I think they are better quality than the plastic ones.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Newer All Glass Filament LED (like GE HD trio) « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 05:08:15 PM » Author: Patrick
I compared a GE dimmable LED filament lamp to a Philips dimmable LED filament lamp, and while the GE was perfectly acceptable, there's no question the Philips was superior.  The non-dimmable GE LEDs I've tried are just about flicker-free, however.  In general Philips seems to do a good job from a flicker standpoint, but it can vary considerably by model.  For instance the driver used in the Philips SlimStyle had rather poor flicker performance despite the good track record Philips has had overall.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies