Author Topic: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps?  (Read 7420 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 11:10:21 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I don't recall seeing anyone gloating about an ebay score on here. Most just mention its from ebay, just as they do for anywhere else and that's okay in my view. If you see someone actually laughing and calling anyone else losers or suckers etc for losing out then that is wrong and should be dealt with but to this day I've never seen this on here

If you are concerned about the lack of UK stuff, feel free to add some uk links to the board, it would help for sure. Also you are one of our top posters on that board so I'm a little taken aback by your post here.

I also post eBay links for lamp and fixture listings fron other countries as well such as from Mexico.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #16 on: November 15, 2020, 11:43:08 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Sounds good, and if you like, you could add the country to the title that the listing is in to help members identify where it is as they look at the board.

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 12:24:03 AM » Author: joseph_125
TBH, the hoarding problem might be better solved by making the web finds board viewable by LG members only. I doubt it's much of a problem but it prevents the lurkers from sniping items posted to it.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #18 on: November 16, 2020, 12:28:44 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
TBH, the hoarding problem might be better solved by making the web finds board viewable by LG members only. I doubt it's much of a problem but it prevents the lurkers from sniping items posted to it.

That is true. I can see the setting to change it to members only. Personally I'm in favour of making it members only but its up to Patrick. If this helps ease concerns for everyone here let us know.

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 08:57:05 AM » Author: Rommie
I'd go along with making it visible to members only, we'll discuss it.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 08:44:55 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I agree with making it viewable for members only. And for what it's worth , I've actually seen a few overseas members who actually for the most part seem to only post U.S. eBay listings .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #21 on: November 17, 2020, 01:53:37 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
We've set the web finds to be viewable to members only. This does mean members will need to be signed in to view that board.

Administrator #5

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #22 on: November 17, 2020, 03:42:03 PM » Author: HPS_250
That’s good, I agree with your decision. The board is now visible only when I am logged in.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #23 on: November 18, 2020, 02:22:14 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am thinking we should have separate web finds threads for different geographic regions because the one that is currently in use has US listings drowning out the foreign listings. I just feel that having Web finds sections for North American Fixtures and lamps and a Web finds section for European Fixtures and lamps as well as a web finds section for asian fixtures and lamps helps to minimize feelings of being left out for non US members.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #24 on: November 18, 2020, 05:41:34 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I have feelings that since nobody really responds to non US web finds listings i have a feeling that someone wants to ban them and not give European collectors a chance.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #25 on: November 18, 2020, 08:39:48 AM » Author: Binarix128
I think a non-USA links section would be pretty helpful.  :wndr:
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #26 on: November 18, 2020, 09:58:02 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
We discussed that but due to low demand we won't be making separate boards at this time. As I said before, if you want to help the EU collectors, post ebay.uk links and put UK in the title.

And no, we aren't going to 'stick it' to our European members by banning non USA listings. You don't see as many because there are less members from there.

Administrator #5

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #27 on: November 18, 2020, 11:24:01 AM » Author: Binarix128
I was suggesting a sub board or thread, not a separated board.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #28 on: November 18, 2020, 11:39:38 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
@ Binarix128 Threads are harder to keep organized. And it is the sub board we mean't, but for now we won't be adding anything.

@ anyone else - At the end of the day the webfinds is there to share interesting links to rare lamps. It wasn't intended to be a shopping channel for lighting gallery. I noticed people are posting every day easy to find things and  it also seems as though some members expect the lighting gallery team to run the webfinds and put content ourselves. Again, that is not the intention.

I think it's time I chat with the rest of the admin team and really discuss the core purpose and intention of webfinds, because as of late I feel as though its becoming more of a chore and is being misused.

Administrator #5

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #29 on: November 18, 2020, 11:39:42 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It's my feeling that posts on Web Finds should only be made in response to posts on the wanted board.  :wndr:
Most members know how to search for themselves on ebay, or other sites, and it's only when they come up short that they post a message asking for help.  ???
If anything posts on the board have led to inflated prices when a lot more people see the offering and put in bids.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies