Author Topic: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps?  (Read 7422 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « on: November 11, 2020, 03:57:47 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder why there are very few listings for European bulbs and fixtures that show up in the “Web Finds” section of this site and why most bulbs and fixtures that get posted in that section are predominantly American?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Andy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 06:22:17 AM » Author: Andy
I don't know, but I believe that the eBay aspect of the Web Finds section can be as much of a curse than it is a blessing.

In the relatively short time I have been involved in this fascinating hobby, I have sadly noticed that lamp collecting via eBay is fast becoming a persuit of the wealthy.
Some of the lamps are bought by genuine collectors and show up on sites such as this where they can be seen by fellow enthusiasts. However it is clear that many of the rarer lamps are simply bought as investments much in the same way as antiques dealers operate.
I'm quite sure that a number of such people use that section of the forum to snap up nice lamps. Ironically this can deprive true enthusiasts of lamps that would be appreciated rather than just bought as a hedge against inflation.

I would like to see more people engaging with others and doing trades. I've done some nice trades with some great people, both on this site and elsewhere and I look forward to doing more in the future! Trading lamps is a win-win situation for both parties to get from something that they want.

I'm always interested in exchanging lamps with others. Send me a message if you would be interested in a trade. :)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 06:46:50 AM » Author: Rommie
I'm guessing it's because the majority of members here are American. But I agree with Andy, the web finds section does seem to get dominated by eBay listings, and when you add on the extortionate costs for shipping and import charges, it makes getting lamps from the US all but impossible for us here in the UK  :-\

As you say Andy, we should trade more, we've done that and met some good people as a result, including you  :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 07:41:32 AM » Author: Medved
Within EU, but across the state borders, the shipping costs use to be very crazy. Mainly for such fragile things. This then makes any trading across state borders quite difficult.

No more selfballasted c***

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 11:14:38 AM » Author: Xytrell
The US accounts for the vast majority of English-speaking people. Also, second-hand markets in general aren't as popular in other countries. It's not just lamps.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 01:02:43 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah I also think it's because the vast majority of the members here are American.

And truth be told there are a lot more US based listings for this stuff on eBay. When I do a search on eBay for lighting equipment the number of listings plummet significantly once you limit the search for Canadian listings only. It also seems Canadian sellers on the second hard market tend to prefer selling locally via Kijiji/FB marketplace instead of eBay.

Fortunately there are many Restores around here so that and local sales account for most of my collection. I'll only splurge for a lamp on eBay if it's something special or if it's something I'll actually use and I can't find it locally. The average cost for me to import a lamp from the US is around $40 with $15 going towards the lamp and the rest for shipping. 

Shipping costs to Canada on eBay seems to be quite variable, I've had items like a remote ballast shipped to for a reasonable cost and on the flip side there are items that are small enough to ship in a small padded envelope that should cost no more than $5 to ship yet the shipping costs $25. ???
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 01:05:09 PM » Author: Rommie
Shipping costs to Canada on eBay seems to be quite variable, I've had items like a remote ballast shipped to for a reasonable cost and on the flip side there are items that are small enough to ship in a small padded envelope that should cost no more than $5 to ship yet the shipping costs $25. ???
Sellers are allowed to charge for post and packing, so it is perfectly acceptable to add the cost of the packaging materials on. But a jiffy bag isn't going to cost $20 so somebody is making money somewhere  :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 01:36:34 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I don't think it has that much to do with Ebay itself.

The reason you see more USA posts in Web Finds is because of a handful of USA members who frequently post multiple links to Ebay listings daily, watering down the posts from non US members. We also have less non US members who post there. Trust me on that, I'm the one who keeps that board clean from constantly dying links to past ebay listings
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 01:39:01 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 01:39:12 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
There have however been quite a few links to UK eBay recently...  :wndr:

To make your life easier I feel that the OP should update the posting once the item has ended.!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 01:41:30 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 01:48:40 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I have seen some members doing that but most don't. May need to look into putting in self deleting posts on the board. or just have a rule of if it's older than x amount of days it's gone or moved, no matter what.

In order to keep that board clean. I have to start at the last page, open each and every single post, click its ebay link(s) to see if it's active or not. Some of them are loaded with like 10 links in a post. If a link doesn't work its marked as ended and then all ended posts are deleted on a purge day once a month. I have to do this all the way to the first page. Do it all over again after a week or two.

Administrator #5

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 01:50:55 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Would it be a help if only one link per post was allowed.? :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 01:57:55 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Would it be a help if only one link per post was allowed.? :wndr:

Probably not, as they will just post separate topics instead on each one which is actually more work to go through than if they are in the same post.

Administrator #5

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 07:45:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
So, do many European members feel left out by the limited selection of European eBay lamp and fixture listings? I myself feel bad for European members who don't have as much opportunity to collect lighting through the “Web Finds” section of this site. For me, it feels like the US members seem to be favored over the European members when it comes to collecting lighting.  :'(

In addition, I think one of the administrators should tell anyone who posts anything on “Web Finds” to slow down on the postings of things they find on eBay and give other members a chance to post their own listings since these members are known to dominate the “Web Finds” section on this site and use this section to hoard lamps and fixtures without giving other members a chance.

I also think that when people share an image on lighting gallery, they should not tell everyone that the website where they sourced their lamps and fixtures from because in some cases, I feel that some members may end up fighting over rare lamps that they missed out and members might use websites to hoard lamps and not give other members a chance to obtain lamps that they want. In addition, people should not share the. websites that they got their lamps from in their shared images because many members often brag about winning rare lamps and fixtures off of eBay auctions and I get very upset about it constantly. Do other members feel the same when they see someone bragging about their eBay finds?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 08:15:45 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 09:33:42 PM » Author: Patrick
If the number of posts become high enough, we could further separate out Web Finds into different sites or geographic regions, but don't feel that's necessary at this point.

Most of the time when I see people indicating that a lamp came from eBay, it's merely informative.  I agree that we shouldn't be bragging about winning, but I wouldn't go as far as to prohibit mentioning the source of a particular item.  We have gone back and forth about allowing eBay links due to the competition issues, but if we didn't permit them some items would simply go unsold.

The nature of eBay auctions is that you win some and you lose some.  We shouldn't rub it in anybody's face when we win, nor should we express contempt for those who outbid us.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do eBay listings in “Web Finds” disproportionately feature US lamps? « Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 11:01:51 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I don't recall seeing anyone gloating about an ebay score on here. Most just mention its from ebay, just as they do for anywhere else and that's okay in my view. If you see someone actually laughing and calling anyone else losers or suckers etc for losing out then that is wrong and should be dealt with but to this day I've never seen this on here

If you are concerned about the lack of UK stuff, feel free to add some uk links to the board, it would help for sure. Also you are one of our top posters on that board so I'm a little taken aback by your post here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 11:05:32 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies