Author Topic: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable.  (Read 7869 times)
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « on: November 16, 2020, 10:46:19 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. Just like MV has become valuable, LEDs will reach that milestone.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 11:01:55 PM » Author: Binarix128
Kinda the same is happening with CFLs, those where massive produced as LEDs, and now are being moved away and being part of the history, practically the only remaining ones are the ones in storage. Some day a more cheaper and profitable technology will come and LEDs will go banned with the rest of the lighting. I wonder if the new lighting technology will be as awful as LEDs. Just by having a couple LEDs in the collection will be ok.

CFLs where bad back in the day due to the awful product quality, incandescent bulb bans with money and interests behind, now the same thing with LED, bad product, HID and fluorescent band moved by money and it will go scaling, Now CFL is a mouse compared with what LED have done, and in the next 100 years LED will be an ant compared with that new technology unless something happens in the middle.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 11:02:23 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Yeah I do find certain ones valuable, like older first gen LED lamps and LED fixtures.

One that would be cool to find is the LED NEMA head that AEL made that is a normal NEMA head but with LEDs and a driver instead of the normal stuff you'd find in one. I believe it was made for a year.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 11:12:59 PM » Author: HPS_250
I realize that LEDs will probably become collectible in some time, just not anytime soon. Just like HPS was a new technology in the 1970s and 80s and some people hated it, and now most people are sad when LED replaces it. At least in my opinion, HPS is a great lighting technology and is definitely collectible.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 11:33:29 PM » Author: Binarix128
I would start to collect more CFLs than LEDs for now, because they will get more valuable sooner due to the incoming bans. After that I would start with the LED.

Back in the day people actually hated new incandescent bulbs, due to the beginning of the planned obsolescence and the collusion for reducing the lamps life. Then CFL, now LED.

That general technology business works like that. You make a new technology and ban all the older one and you make money of it for 10 or 20 years, theyn a new technology comes in and the previous one goes banned and the cycle continues.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 01:08:53 AM » Author: joseph_125
I'm not gonna lie, but I consider the early practical LED lamps like the Philips AmbientLED with the remote phoshor to be pretty collectable at this point. I only have one as they were really expensive (like $20 to 30 for one lamp) when they first came out, I pulled it from service and replaced it with a cheaper newer LED in order to add it to my collection.

I guess the really early LED lamps like the Lights of America lamps that used 5mm LEDs are also an interesting curiosity but not really practical for general lighting due to low light output and life.

And yeah during the early part of the 2010s I would look over HPS stuff in favour of MV and MH but now I'll grab any cheap HPS stuff I see.

I'm not sure pre incandescent but when MV first started being used, people hated it compared to incandescent due to the low CRI from the clear lamps in use at the time.

Same goes for when HPS started replacing MV.

And with fluorescent lamps, it was the same thing when T8 started displacing T12. Now you're hard pressed to find a place still using T8.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 06:32:25 AM » Author: Silverliner
The most collectible LED lamp is the Philips L-prize. Very rare now. Look it up.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 11:34:12 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
The most collectible LED lamp is the Philips L-prize. Very rare now. Look it up.
They're on Amazon for $99 each.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 11:54:00 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The only people round here that will be collecting them is the bin men...  :lol:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 04:50:05 PM » Author: AngryHorse
CFL are already collectors items!!, who’d have thought that??, you can’t even get them where I am now!  :wndr:
LED are good collection items too, especially if you have been keeping up with the tech over the last 10 years, the very first LED lamps I bought were basically ‘candles’ to what the latest are today!
This in itself are little pieces of lighting history   8)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:52:08 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 05:03:06 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
But there's no soul or artistry involved in their making like there is with incandescents, HID or especially SOX. :lps: :hps: :mv: :emh: :bulbman:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 05:07:33 PM » Author: AngryHorse
They do have a bit in their own right, but with how fast the technology is moving, I would say to anyone, even if you despise LED lamps, just collect loads of different shape/size and wattage of them, put them away in a box somewhere, out of sight and mind, and in 20 years you will have some rare collection gems!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:09:17 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 05:15:09 PM » Author: Rommie
The oldest lamp in our collection is approximately 120 years old and reeks of character. I very much doubt that the best L*D in the world will be around and still usable in 12 years, let alone 120. They have no soul, they're just electronic circuits which glow.

We tried to like them, we really did. We used them here for a while, but they just didn't communicate the way that incandescent lamps and discharge lamps do.

Sorry, but they have no place in our lives. I'm not telling anyone they have to think the same way as we do, if you want to use them, go ahead. But we never will here and that's all there is to it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:17:24 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #13 on: November 17, 2020, 05:24:05 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I know you’re feelings about them Ria, but I was thinking more from a lighting enthusiast point of view, it’s not about using them in every day life, (you wouldn’t ever have to use or like them), but just to have them as ‘another artificial electric light source’ in collection they will one day be rare?

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: You guys do realize that LEDs will one day become valuable. « Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 05:25:00 PM » Author: Rommie
Sorry, never going to happen  :laugh:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies