Author Topic: Original GE M250 Crimefighter  (Read 1108 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Original GE M250 Crimefighter « on: November 19, 2020, 10:53:39 PM » Author: Patrick
In the gallery we have a few examples of the 175W Mercury Vapor GE M250R Crimefighter.  These are very rare because in Chicago, the only city to widely deploy the Crimefighter, migrated entirely to High Pressure Sodium in the 1970s.

When I think of an "original" HPS Crimefighter, this is the type that comes to mind.  It's based on the M250R1 with a bail latch and plastic diffuser.  This is opposed to the newer split-door M250A2 variant.

However, it happens there are even older varieties than what I considered originals.  This luminaire for instance has what looks to be a glass refractor.  This luminaire not only has the glass lens, but the thumb latch like the MV version!  It would be neat if it was a Mercury miss-out, but that's hard to believe.  At the same time, if these were produced in HPS, why aren't there more of them?  Perhaps it could have been an early replacement before the full HPS transition, I don't know.

Anyway, if you'd like a challenge, try to locate another on Google Maps.  I found this one by chance, but so far it's the only one.  I spotted one more with the old refractor type, but it too has the new latch.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Original GE M250 Crimefighter « Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 11:49:02 PM » Author: joseph_125
Interesting I know of a couple of those MV Crimefighters still in use in the wild around my area and they show up on local used sites from time to time so I was thinking that GE did try to market them in Canada at one point. There were two different bucket variants too. The one you linked that is basically a Holophane RSL 200 bucket and a more pointed bucket as shown here. There was also an option for a remote ballasted model M250R Crimeifhgter which seems to be even more rare than the internal ballasted model. 

Yeah I also wonder if the "mercury" model Crimefighter had a short run of units that were factory HPS. I would love to find out more about these luminaires but it seems like there's no literature about them freely available online.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies