Author Topic: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps?  (Read 4023 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « on: November 27, 2020, 06:32:55 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am curious to know if there are any members who have any of the pre-SOX vertical burning SO/V low pressure sodium lamps that were designed for fixtures with the lamp mounted base up?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:17:41 AM » Author: HPS_250
I’ve never even heard of SO/V type lamps! Does anyone have more information on these?

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 01:22:14 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I’ve never even heard of SO/V type lamps! Does anyone have more information on these?

As far as I know, they do have dewar jackets just like the SO/H lamps, but they were meant for base up operations only.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 01:37:29 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If you look here, you can find some old British street lanterns that once used these lamps:

http://www.simoncornwell.com/lighting/manufact/revo/fullrange/lps1.htm

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 01:49:08 PM » Author: Rommie
That's a new one on me, I have never before heard or seen the designation SO/V anywhere. It doesn't appear in any of the old catalogues I've seen.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 02:46:39 PM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder if those luminaires were just intended for the lower wattage lamps in the SO/H range. They're technically horizontal lamps but this appears in the 1950 BTH-Mazda catalogue regarding the SO/H range:

NOTE. - Lamps should normally be used in a HORIZONTAL position, but the 45 and 60 watt sizes will operate in any position between vertical (cap up) and horizontal.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 11:46:37 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
When I looked at Simon Cornwell’s page, the SO/V lamps I have seen were rated 90w and 50w.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 10:11:58 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
When I looked at Simon Cornwell’s page, the SO/V lamps I have seen were rated 90w and 50w.
Looking closely at his website, he has mistakenly listed the lamps as SO/V when the catalogue just states that the SO/H lamp is burned vertically cap up.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 12:15:04 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Looking closely at his website, he has mistakenly listed the lamps as SO/V when the catalogue just states that the SO/H lamp is burned vertically cap up.

Here is the link for all this information:

http://www.simoncornwell.com/lighting/glossary/index.htm

When I took a look at his glossary, he did state that SO/V was an official designation. See here:

so : light source : low pressure sodium, one cap   
   Designation of the first sodium lamps, invented by Philips in 1932. The first trial installation was along a road in Eindhoven, Holland (see below). At first the authorities were hesitant about the colour of the lamp and dared not use it. But Dr. A. F. Philips agreed to install the trial installation, and if it wasn't pleasing, Philips would take it down, paying all costs.
At first, there was much laughter about the "queer yellow lamps" but motorists soon realised their benefits (good visibility, less glare, better performance in fog). Therefore the trial installation was kept
The first installation in the UK was in Purley Way, Croydon, outside the airfield, also in 1932 (see below). This was probably prompted by the successful trial of the GEC's MA discharge lamp in East Lane, Wembley, early in the year.
It appeared that this first installation (100W DC) was installed in bucket-type cut-off lanterns. It lasted four years before being replaced with a larger installation of Wardle Liverpools on a catenary system, which lasted until the 1970s.
The bulb was typified by a two piece construction - the inner arc tube was enclosed in an outer tube which comprised a Dewar flask. When the inner tube was spent, it was removed and replaced - the outer tube, which was expensive to construct, was retained.
The Dewar vacuum chamber provided thermal insulation, allowing the inner tube to reach its optimum temperature of 260oC.
The original wattages and efficiencies were:

Watt Rating.
Total Nominal Lumens.
70 (later 65)
Philips sold the bulb under the Philora name - technical information can be found here.
On the 15th Novemebr, 1938, ELMA reclassified the wattage and efficiencies as follows:

Watt Rating.
Total Nominal Lumens.
Initial Nominal Efficiency.
Lumens/Watt.
Nominal Average Efficiency thoughout life
Lumens/Watt.
By the early 1960s, the efficiencies of the lamps had improved:

Watt Rating.
Inital Lamp lumens.
Average output throughout life.

The orientation of lamp burning was also important, and several designations were used:
/V Vertical cap up
/D Vertical cap down
/H Horizonal
/U Universal
The lamp was superceeded by the SOI design
Watt Rating.   Total Nominal Lumens.
50   2550
70 (later 65)   3780
100   6100
150   9600
Watt Rating.   Total Nominal Lumens.   Initial Nominal Efficiency.
Lumens/Watt.   Nominal Average Efficiency thoughout life
Lumens/Watt.
45   2500   55.5   42
60   3900   65.0   49
85   6100   71.5   57
140   10000   71.5   57
Watt Rating.   Inital Lamp lumens.   Average output throughout life.
85   6200   5525
140   10250   9100
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:22:48 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 01:27:36 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Here is the link for all this information:

http://www.simoncornwell.com/lighting/glossary/index.htm

When I took a look at his glossary, he did state that SO/V was an official designation. See here:

You have read something into that article that is not there:

The /V, /D, /U, and /H suffixes in it refer to all lamp types. Taking them to refer to SO lamps suggests that there is a SO/D one.

Which is impossible to have as it would let the sodium migrate past the electrodes.

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 02:23:06 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
You have read something into that article that is not there:

The /V, /D, /U, and /H suffixes in it refer to all lamp types. Taking them to refer to SO lamps suggests that there is a SO/D one.

Which is impossible to have as it would let the sodium migrate past the electrodes.

It might be that the lamps might have had some special design that would keep the electrodes safe during the base down operation of such lamps.

If anyone is in contact with Simon Cornwell, they should ask about those weird SO lamp designations.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 02:33:41 PM » Author: Rommie
It might be that the lamps might have had some special design that would keep the electrodes safe during the base down operation of such lamps.
Erm.. No. There were one or two laboratory lamps that ran base down, such as this one but NO lamps of the SO designation were ever designed to run base down, nor were there any ever listed in any catalogues as SO/V, despite whatever it is you are reading into that article.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 02:53:12 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Would be interesting if they made a base down burn sox lamp that has the electrodes on the wrong end of the lamp for fixtures that had to absolutely be base down.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 02:56:37 PM » Author: Rommie
Not really necessary. Fixtures such as the Thorn Gamma 6 which ran the 35W lamp vertically had a frame to fix the lampholder at the top. I can't see any reason where a lamp would absolutely HAVE to be run cap down.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 02:58:49 PM by sox35 » Logged

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Does Anyone own any SO/V low pressure sodium lamps? « Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 04:46:21 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl

If anyone is in contact with Simon Cornwell, they should ask about those weird SO lamp designations.

I have indeed been in touch with Simon. He uses SO/V as a personal shorthand, and it does not imply that lamps with that particular designation were made.
He is going to amend his website to reflect this, as it has caused confusion. He categorically denies that there was ever a SO/D lamp.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies