Author Topic: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ?  (Read 9270 times)
alexd120

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #45 on: January 29, 2021, 11:36:21 AM » Author: alexd120
I got shocked by a fluroscent light the fixture was on when I was replacing bulbs.
It was one of the thoses cheap low power f40 t12 ballast.
But it hurt.
That was another time I got shocked.

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #46 on: March 18, 2021, 09:25:40 PM » Author: thelightingman
I got shocked when I was trying to change a plug and a switch that were next to each other and I thought they were both off (both things were in the same box) so I was getting the switch out and I went to work on the plug and it turned out that the plug was on a seperate breaker! That hurt. So I turned off the other breaker. Another time, I was switching out a switch for a ceiling fan and the fan was set to low and had been on, so I went and touched the wire going to the fan and it gave me quite a jolt. The best one was when I was running my furnace fan and the wires for the other speeds were exposed and I did not know that they had voltage on them since motors are generators also so I stepped on them and had somewhere from 240v to 480v go through my foot. :o :poof: :o :poof:

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #47 on: March 21, 2021, 01:27:27 PM » Author: marcopete87
At work: i was replacing a network switch over a metallic table, when i touched the switch and the table (with one hand), i got zapped (70V, some mA) because stray voltage on the table due a defective stereo nearby.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #48 on: March 21, 2021, 01:28:38 PM » Author: Rommie
Were you wearing an anti-static wristband..?

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #49 on: March 21, 2021, 02:55:19 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Through the neck with a stainless steel 6 way GU10 ceiling fitting!  :poof:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #50 on: March 21, 2021, 03:31:59 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
The cover fell off of the back of my iPad charger and I got 120V mains through my hand in the middle of the night. Needless to say, that charger went into the scrap pile the next day.
Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #51 on: March 21, 2021, 08:19:51 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Over the years I've had a few good belts, alot like a number of other members here have described. Now I take UL-approved rubber pills every morning. That really helps in reducing the pain and sudden jolt from my accidental bare skin electrical shocks :laugh:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #52 on: March 21, 2021, 08:22:22 PM » Author: Rommie
The cover fell off of the back of my iPad charger and I got 120V mains through my hand in the middle of the night. Needless to say, that charger went into the scrap pile the next day.
Along with the iPad..?  :mrg:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #53 on: March 21, 2021, 08:23:55 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Over the years I've had a few good belts, alot like a number of other members here have described. Now I take UL-approved rubber pills every morning. That really helps in reducing the pain and sudden jolt from my accidental bare skin electrical shocks :laugh:
Where can I get some.??  :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Joe Maurath, Jr.

View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 08:36:39 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Where can I get some.??  :mrg:

Ahhh, I think they ceased making them for now in order to ramp up vaccine production instead.
 :lol:

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Please refer to www.insulators.info where I periodically post many images of lights and insulators in the group's Picture Poster Gallery. Thank you.

desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #55 on: March 21, 2021, 08:59:01 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Along with the iPad..?  :mrg:

The iPad was an iPad 3, I still have it but no longer use it. I now use an iPad Pro 9.7 inch from 2017.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #56 on: March 21, 2021, 08:59:40 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Ahhh, I think they ceased making them for now in order to ramp up vaccine production instead.
 :lol:

think she was talking about the belts! :mrg: :lol: ;D

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #57 on: March 21, 2021, 08:59:43 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, sorry, I never was an Apple fan  :mrg:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #58 on: March 21, 2021, 09:01:18 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
think she was talking about the belts! :mrg: :lol: ;D
Nah, the pillses, they would help me bounce back from feeling poorly...  :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

f36t8

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #59 on: March 22, 2021, 01:05:27 PM » Author: f36t8
Despite doing a lot of experiments with electricity and electronics (another hobby of mine), I have fortunately been able to mostly avoid shocks. I never had a real shock from mains where I had a direct connection to live and ground/neutral at the same time. Just once I accidentally touched an uninsulated part of an old fuse holder by accident, which caused a tingling sensation, but fortunately I had no low-resistance path to ground. I took that one time as a warning and afterwards I decided to be more careful.

Once I did get a DC shock from a capacitor charged to about 200 V: It was mounted to a PCB, had no bleeder resistor, and I picked up the board with the palm of my hand on the solder side. It was unpleasant but not really dangerous since the current was only flowing within the hand and not through my body.

I did lots of dangerous stuff when I was younger ("playing" with microwave oven transformers, neon sign transformers, setting up a "single-wire earth return" system with about 400 V AC in the garden, ...) but if I had gotten a shock from that, I would maybe not be around anymore to write about it.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies