Author Topic: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ?  (Read 5793 times)
alexd120
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery


Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #45 on: January 29, 2021, 11:36:21 AM » Author: alexd120
I got shocked by a fluroscent light the fixture was on when I was replacing bulbs.
It was one of the thoses cheap low power f40 t12 ballast.
But it hurt.
That was another time I got shocked.
Logged

Rapid start ,preheat metal halide mercury vapor and high pressure sodium for life.

thelightingman
Member
****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!


Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #46 on: March 18, 2021, 09:25:40 PM » Author: thelightingman
I got shocked when I was trying to change a plug and a switch that were next to each other and I thought they were both off (both things were in the same box) so I was getting the switch out and I went to work on the plug and it turned out that the plug was on a seperate breaker! That hurt. So I turned off the other breaker. Another time, I was switching out a switch for a ceiling fan and the fan was set to low and had been on, so I went and touched the wire going to the fan and it gave me quite a jolt. The best one was when I was running my furnace fan and the wires for the other speeds were exposed and I did not know that they had voltage on them since motors are generators also so I stepped on them and had somewhere from 240v to 480v go through my foot. :o :poof: :o :poof:
Logged

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

marcopete87
Member
****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #47 on: March 21, 2021, 01:27:27 PM » Author: marcopete87
At work: i was replacing a network switch over a metallic table, when i touched the switch and the table (with one hand), i got zapped (70V, some mA) because stray voltage on the table due a defective stereo nearby.
Logged
Rommie
Administrator
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Female
View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant


Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #48 on: March 21, 2021, 01:28:38 PM » Author: Rommie
Were you wearing an anti-static wristband..?
Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

AngryHorse
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Rich


Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #49 on: March 21, 2021, 02:55:19 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Through the neck with a stainless steel 6 way GU10 ceiling fitting!  :poof:
Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 45,818 hrs @ 10/4/22

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

desktoptrashcan
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #50 on: March 21, 2021, 03:31:59 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
The cover fell off of the back of my iPad charger and I got 120V mains through my hand in the middle of the night. Needless to say, that charger went into the scrap pile the next day.
Logged
Joe Maurath, Jr.
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Female
View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.


WWW
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #51 on: March 21, 2021, 08:19:51 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Over the years I've had a few good belts, alot like a number of other members here have described. Now I take UL-approved rubber pills every morning. That really helps in reducing the pain and sudden jolt from my accidental bare skin electrical shocks :laugh:
Logged

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

Rommie
Administrator
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Female
View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant


Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #52 on: March 21, 2021, 08:22:22 PM » Author: Rommie
The cover fell off of the back of my iPad charger and I got 120V mains through my hand in the middle of the night. Needless to say, that charger went into the scrap pile the next day.
Along with the iPad..?  :mrg:
Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

Mandolin Girl
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Female
View Posts
View Gallery

Bodger extraordinaire - When in doubt, bodge.!


Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #53 on: March 21, 2021, 08:23:55 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Over the years I've had a few good belts, alot like a number of other members here have described. Now I take UL-approved rubber pills every morning. That really helps in reducing the pain and sudden jolt from my accidental bare skin electrical shocks :laugh:
Where can I get some.??  :mrg:
Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

Joe Maurath, Jr.
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Female
View Posts
View Gallery

Transgender, Avid About Street Lamps, Insulators.


WWW
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 08:36:39 PM » Author: Joe Maurath, Jr.
Where can I get some.??  :mrg:

Ahhh, I think they ceased making them for now in order to ramp up vaccine production instead.
 :lol:
Logged

"A secret to happiness is letting every situation be what it is, instead of what you think it should be, and then making the best of it."

desktoptrashcan
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #55 on: March 21, 2021, 08:59:01 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Along with the iPad..?  :mrg:

The iPad was an iPad 3, I still have it but no longer use it. I now use an iPad Pro 9.7 inch from 2017.
Logged
Bulbman256
Member
*****
Online

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max


Bulbman256
Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #56 on: March 21, 2021, 08:59:40 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Ahhh, I think they ceased making them for now in order to ramp up vaccine production instead.
 :lol:

think she was talking about the belts! :mrg: :lol: ;D
Logged

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Female
View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant


Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #57 on: March 21, 2021, 08:59:43 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, sorry, I never was an Apple fan  :mrg:
Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

Mandolin Girl
Member
*****
Offline

Gender: Female
View Posts
View Gallery

Bodger extraordinaire - When in doubt, bodge.!


Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #58 on: March 21, 2021, 09:01:18 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
think she was talking about the belts! :mrg: :lol: ;D
Nah, the pillses, they would help me bounce back from feeling poorly...  :mrg:
Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

f36t8
Member
***
Offline

Gender: Male
View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's the worst you've ever been shocked ? « Reply #59 on: March 22, 2021, 01:05:27 PM » Author: f36t8
Despite doing a lot of experiments with electricity and electronics (another hobby of mine), I have fortunately been able to mostly avoid shocks. I never had a real shock from mains where I had a direct connection to live and ground/neutral at the same time. Just once I accidentally touched an uninsulated part of an old fuse holder by accident, which caused a tingling sensation, but fortunately I had no low-resistance path to ground. I took that one time as a warning and afterwards I decided to be more careful.

Once I did get a DC shock from a capacitor charged to about 200 V: It was mounted to a PCB, had no bleeder resistor, and I picked up the board with the palm of my hand on the solder side. It was unpleasant but not really dangerous since the current was only flowing within the hand and not through my body.

I did lots of dangerous stuff when I was younger ("playing" with microwave oven transformers, neon sign transformers, setting up a "single-wire earth return" system with about 400 V AC in the garden, ...) but if I had gotten a shock from that, I would maybe not be around anymore to write about it.
Logged
Print 
© 2005-2022 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies