Author Topic: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic?  (Read 2702 times)
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « on: November 28, 2020, 01:30:22 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
I found a huge analog TV antenna, a distribution amplifier for analog TV, an old GE child proof extension cord, and a piece of 14/3 wire. What have you guys found?

I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend. -Neil Peart

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 01:42:36 PM » Author: HPS_250
Well, I didn’t technically find this, but it was in my attic! A guy who was repairing some ductwork in the attic found a box of roofing tape from 1978, when my house was built.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 02:05:19 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
Well, I didn’t technically find this, but it was in my attic! A guy who was repairing some ductwork in the attic found a box of roofing tape from 1978, when my house was built.
That's cool! There are also a bunch of shingle bits, stripped romex sheath, and bits of cracking plastic in my attic.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 02:16:19 PM » Author: HPS_250
That's cool! There are also a bunch of shingle bits, stripped romex sheath, and bits of cracking plastic in my attic.

I’ve only gone into my attic a few times, mainly because we had problems with the ventilation fan, which we eventually just removed. I might go back to check for any interesting stuff.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 02:32:26 PM » Author: Cole D.
I only been in the attic once, because I'm afraid of heights plus falling through the ceiling. There wasn't much of interest up there, but there are two keyless porcelain lampholders (one at each end) and the switch is mounted right above the attic hatch. I know the bulbs are incandescent but I don't know the wattages.

At my old house (from 1992) there was a plastic pull chain lampholder with a grounded convenience outlet right above the hatch, but no bulb ever in it.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Wireman
Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 05:22:50 PM » Author: Wireman
When I was 16 I was in the attic above my bedroom running Romex for some recessed lights that I was installing in my room.
I noticed some plywood installed in a strange way on some of the rafters.
At first I thought it was was part of the roof but when I looked closer it wasn't part of anything.
It was like it was just put there for whatever.
Anyway I showed it to my Dad since he bought the house brand new from the builder,DCA, in 1978.
He had no idea why it was there, but it was in the way of one of my new recessed cans or so I thought.
We were able to fit it in under the plywood afterall.
Admittedly we both were puzzled by it.
I went to the building department and got the construction records for the house.
Turns out the wood was leftover when the carpenters made a mistake in framing the roof and failed the inspection.
Once they framed it the right way they just didn't bother to remove the misplaced plywood.
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 05:49:46 PM » Author: Jovan
I found a huge analog TV antenna, a distribution amplifier for analog TV, an old GE child proof extension cord, and a piece of 14/3 wire. What have you guys found?
I found that there were no spiders :) just kidding.I found some old bicycles and some old wires which I sold and got nice money from that.
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 08:17:08 PM » Author: Binarix128
When repairing the stairs we opened the little storage behind it, most things there were not out of normal but we found a WW2 sewing machine in good conditions, It just needs a cord.
Fluorescent05

View Posts
View Gallery

Zack

Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 11:39:34 PM » Author: Fluorescent05
When repairing the stairs we opened the little storage behind it, most things there were not out of normal but we found a WW2 sewing machine in good conditions, It just needs a cord.
That is a very good find!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 12:44:55 AM » Author: tolivac
Remains of what looks like a cardboard playhouse-found  it when I moved in-left it up there.Now the attic is a place for some old vacuums and lights.Also--suitcases.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 09:52:48 AM » Author: Cole D.
My parents won't store things in the attic, "if the only place it fit is the attic, then we don't need it."  :'-)

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl
Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 10:18:37 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
My parents won't store things in the attic, "if the only place it fit is the attic, then we don't need it."  :'-)
That's fatal. If you throw it out, you can guarantee the very next day, you'll need it. Done that more times than I care to remember  :-\

Problem is, now I live in a flat, we have no attic, so we're surrounded by STUFF  :lol:
Mandolin Girl
Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 05:11:58 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Strange as it may sound, a dog. :lol:

At the place I was staying well before moving here I was using the loft as a place to sleep, and I woke up one morning with my flat mate's dog licking my face.  :poof:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 09:17:30 PM » Author: 589
I found a few cases of early 90’s x-men comics.

:lps:

sox35
Re: What are the coolest and/or weirdest things you have found in your attic? « Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 06:56:00 AM » Author: sox35
If they're in good condition, they might be worth something  :wndr:
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies