Author Topic: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light  (Read 2085 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « on: December 05, 2020, 10:24:51 AM » Author: Cole D.
I noticed this year that Lowes and Home Depot have stopped selling THIS style of bathroom light. I really liked the vintage styling of these with the frosted glass and the pull chain and outlet. The one Home Depot sold looked similar but had a fresnel design on the shade.

Although Lowes still list them on their site, both stores have removed them from the displays. However they still sell the bar type fixtures with the U-channel style glass shade.

The Lowes version may actually be staying, at least online I'm guessing, since they now apparently offer it in black and brushed nickel, as well as the classic chrome.

THIS more of the style that Home Depot had, which was Progress Lighting brand, but a similar unit is this "Westinghouse". I kind of prefer this style because of the fresnel pattern.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Wireman
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 12:23:50 PM » Author: Wireman
Oh yeah "the" classic fixture for American bathrooms and sometimes the kitchen!
The design dates back to the 40s.
The last apartment that I lived in had one of these fixtures in the bathroom, it just didn't have the pull chain or outlet on it.
I better get online with Lowe's and order some while I still can.
They probably removed them from the store displays because traditional incandescent fixtures are becoming less and less popular all the time.
Also there is very little demand for fixtures with pull chains and outlets on them.
Thanks for the warning though I'd sure hate to see this type of fixture become no longer available.

You might find this interesting.
The house that my Mother grew up in was built in 1954.
The original bathroom light had a base just like the fixture that you posted, however the frosted glass shade was shaped like a large bowtie.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 06:25:51 PM » Author: Cole D.
Oh yeah "the" classic fixture for American bathrooms and sometimes the kitchen!
The design dates back to the 40s.
The last apartment that I lived in had one of these fixtures in the bathroom, it just didn't have the pull chain or outlet on it.
I better get online with Lowe's and order some while I still can.
They probably removed them from the store displays because traditional incandescent fixtures are becoming less and less popular all the time.
Also there is very little demand for fixtures with pull chains and outlets on them.
Thanks for the warning though I'd sure hate to see this type of fixture become no longer available.

You might find this interesting.
The house that my Mother grew up in was built in 1954.
The original bathroom light had a base just like the fixture that you posted, however the frosted glass shade was shaped like a large bowtie.

Hmm 1940s, I'm guessing these were sort of the replacement for those old porcelain fixtures with the milk glass shades. I have one of those in my collection, it's a Paulding, and it has the pull chain and convenience outlet. The old house next door had a Porcelier porcelain sconce in one of the bathrooms. I asked them to save it for me, but it got broken. But they did save the socket/pull chain assembly, and I still have it.

Yeah, I hope these fixtures don't get discontinued. I'd like to have a setup with one of these fixtures mounted on each side of the bathroom mirror. I prefer these older style fixtures with real sockets, so I can use incandescent, CFL, LED or whatever I'd like. Integrated LED fixtures to me are junk, and not environmentally friendly at all, as you have to replace the entire fixture when any component fails. Whereas old light fixtures lasted many decades, with just bulb changes.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 11:58:15 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It's been the same story since shops first opened, they stock a product for so long, then a new and 'improved' one comes along and replaces it.   :poof:
A lot of the time there was nothing wrong with the old one.  >:(
We've had to replace a perfectly working item because we can't get the spare filters for it any more.!!  :curse:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 10:03:13 AM » Author: Cole D.
Well I've been happy to report I've been proven wrong! LOL

I was at Lowes last night, they've moved the light fixtures around somewhat, and the old style fixture is back on the display, and working, and I saw several in stock, at least the chrome finish ones.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 11:16:42 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl

I was at Lowes last night, they've moved the light fixtures around somewhat, and the old style fixture is back on the display, and working, and I saw several in stock, at least the chrome finish ones.

Ah, the good old 'let's rearrange everything' ploy.  :wndr:
Usually done overnight without telling the staff that you're doing it.   :mrg:

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Desultory13
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 11:24:07 AM » Author: Desultory13

That's good news. I'm probably going to check out my Lowes this week to see if they still have them. But what I'm really looking for is the so-called "jelly jar" fixture. Not sure if I can still buy them but I sure have a good idea in mind for one.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 02:52:28 PM » Author: Cole D.
Ah, the good old 'let's rearrange everything' ploy.  :wndr:
Usually done overnight without telling the staff that you're doing it.   :mrg:

Tell me about it, Lowes has relocated their light bulbs twice in the last two months. First time I looked everywhere and finally relalized they are at the very front of the store. Now, they are located in the aisle with lighting fixtures. At least that makes more sense than where they were originally, about 4 aisles away!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 02:53:28 PM » Author: Cole D.
That's good news. I'm probably going to check out my Lowes this week to see if they still have them. But what I'm really looking for is the so-called "jelly jar" fixture. Not sure if I can still buy them but I sure have a good idea in mind for one.

Not sure about Lowes, but Home Depot definitely still sells jelly jar fixtures (at least wall mount, not sure on ceiling mount) in white and black finish. I know because I bought one.  :laugh:

Desultory13
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 03:08:11 PM » Author: Desultory13
Not sure about Lowes, but Home Depot definitely still sells jelly jar fixtures (at least wall mount, not sure on ceiling mount) in white and black finish. I know because I bought one.  :laugh:
Cool! That's what I need the wall mount kind. The one you bought? Can an incandescent bulb still be used in it?
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 04:34:24 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Cool! That's what I need the wall mount kind. The one you bought? Can an incandescent bulb still be used in it?
If that's the case, we can get one to use this side of the pond.  :bulbman: :wndr:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Desultory13
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #11 on: December 12, 2020, 04:44:12 PM » Author: Desultory13
If that's the case, we can get one to use this side of the pond.  :bulbman: :wndr:
If I find them I'd be glad to get one for you!
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #12 on: December 12, 2020, 04:45:16 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Thank you kind sir.!  :-*

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #13 on: December 12, 2020, 04:54:19 PM » Author: Binarix128
In 2 days all 22W circlines vanished! And got replaced with Chestinghouse T5 ones, the original were Philips T9.  :(  The staff just removed the tubes probably, the people don't really buy those because there are quite a lot LEDs around, so they took them out.  >:(
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 04:56:10 PM by Binarix128 » Logged
Desultory13
Re: Lowes and Home Depot stopped selling vintage style bathroom light « Reply #14 on: December 12, 2020, 04:56:10 PM » Author: Desultory13
Thank you kind sir.!  :-*
No problem! Do you want one with a white or black base?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies