Author Topic: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic  (Read 8895 times)
Desultory13
WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « on: February 06, 2021, 12:21:08 AM » Author: Desultory13
This is the man himself, our dad.  :love: We lost him to cancer in October but he's never far from us. This is the man that taught Desultory the basics of electrical work, how to install track & recessed lighting in his room and taught us both the value of good hard honest work. Just wanted to share a bit, we loved our father very much.

Gary Burnette
9/18/51 - 10/6/20
A son's first hero
A daughter's first love
Desultory13
Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 01:41:58 AM » Author: Desultory13
Yep! That's him in all of his glory at an SCCA(auto racing) awards banquet.
Whether it was his Corvette or Camaro, over the years he was points leader, driver of the year, and in the case of the Corvette, the loudest car on the track!
When the green was dropped at Moroso and there was a thundering roar everyone knew that was our father coming down the straight!
I know that it's not to popular right now but I happen to be very proud of my Southern country heritage and I DESPISE redneck jokes!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 01:58:32 AM by Desultory » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 10:57:25 AM » Author: Rommie
A good man, then. Remember him as he was in this picture, not how he was at the end  :-* :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 10:58:33 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Very nice to see a picture of your dad.

My daddy was the best daddy I've ever had.  :mrg:  :love: :love: :love:

As regards 'redneck' jokes I can't stand them either.  :curse:

Rednecks to me are part of the 'make do and mend' mentality, if you can't get the right part for some machinery you make it yourself and 'bodge' it so that it will work.
In which case I'm proud to be part of the same tradition, I learnt the art of 'bodging' from my daddy. So I'm proud to call myself a Scottish Redneck.  :love:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:08:29 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

WigWag
Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 02:05:32 PM » Author: WigWag
Very nice to see a picture of your dad.

My daddy was the best daddy I've ever had.  :mrg:  :love: :love: :love:

As regards 'redneck' jokes I can't stand them either.  :curse:

Rednecks to me are part of the 'make do and mend' mentality, if you can't get the right part for some machinery you make it yourself and 'bodge' it so that it will work.
In which case I'm proud to be part of the same tradition, I learnt the art of 'bodging' from my daddy. So I'm proud to call myself a Scottish Redneck.  :love:

Scottish redneck? Wow, I didn't know there were other nationalities of rednecks  :lol: But that's what fathers do best, they teach us how to fix things ourselves
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 02:08:13 PM » Author: Rommie
Scottish redneck? Wow, I didn't know there were other nationalities of rednecks  :lol: But that's what fathers do best, they teach us how to fix things ourselves
They do indeed.My father was a draughtsman and design engineer, and even though he died 30 years ago, I miss him every day  :'(

We call what we do bodging..! Sammi learnt it from her daddy, and I've picked it up from her  ;D

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

WigWag
Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 02:11:39 PM » Author: WigWag
They do indeed.My father was a draughtsman and design engineer, and even though he died 30 years ago, I miss him every day  :'(

We call what we do bodging..! Sammi learnt it from her daddy, and I've picked it up from her  ;D

My dad used to call it "piddling"  :lol: He'd be fooling around with something in the garage and we'd ask what he was doing and he'd always say "just piddlin'"
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 02:13:38 PM » Author: Rommie
My dad used to call it "piddling" :lol: He'd be fooling around with something in the garage and we'd ask what he was doing and he'd always say "just piddlin'"
:o I'm too much of a lady to say what the word 'piddling' means to us on this side of the water  :mrg:

Desultory13
Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #8 on: February 06, 2021, 03:04:10 PM » Author: Desultory13
Just to clear a few things up, first you're only a redneck if you're from the American South.
Second men are just "killing time".
"Why don't you do something?" "Nah just killing some time".
In the case of our father he would just be piddling around the garage( clean up your mind Ria) sometimes while whistling the entire opening theme to the "Andy Griffith Show".
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 03:09:09 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Just to clear a few things up, first you're only a redneck if you're from the American South.
In the case of our father he would just be piddling around the garage( clean up your mind Ria) sometimes while whistling the entire opening theme to the "Andy Griffith Show".
Here it's just Hillbillies but there are wannabe rednecks.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 03:09:44 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl

Maybe it would have been better to say a Scottish version of a redneck, if you take it as being part of the make do and mend mentaility. I know that the term comes from when they used to plough the fields and had a leather strap across their necks to help control the plough, and at the end of a hard day's work the ploughman had a 'red neck'

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 03:22:10 PM » Author: Rommie
In the case of our father he would just be piddling around the garage(clean up your mind Ria) sometimes while whistling the entire opening theme to the "Andy Griffith Show".
Hey, it's what the word means here, I didn't write the dictionary  :mrg:

Desultory13
Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #12 on: February 06, 2021, 03:51:30 PM » Author: Desultory13
This topic is completely derailed! :Railway_Light:
I was hoping for just some decent respect for a man who gave me an advantage to electrical and lighting when I was teenager so I was well prepared when it came time to seek out my first job. It worked out too, when my first boss gave me a shop test he was so impressed by what I could do he hired me right on the spot! My very first electrician's job! A father's job...to make sure that his boy grows into a man.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 04:00:47 PM » Author: Rommie
This topic is completely derailed! :Railway_Light:
I was hoping for just some decent respect for a man who gave me an advantage to electrical and lighting when I was teenager so I was well prepared when it came time to seek out my first job. It worked out too, when my first boss gave me a shop test he was so impressed by what I could do he hired me right on the spot! My very first electrician's job! A father's job...to make sure that his boy grows into a man.

Hey, I said he was a good man a few replies ago, don't get upset  :-*

Anyway, you should know by now it doesn't take a lot to derail a topic around here  :mrg:

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WigWag & Desultory Profile Pic « Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 04:04:59 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Anyway, you should know by now it doesn't take a lot to derail a topic around here  :mrg:
I'm guilty of that! :mrg:

@Desultory sorry to hear about your father.

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies