Author Topic: Holophane Lobay®  (Read 1825 times)
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Holophane Lobay® « on: February 06, 2021, 05:01:42 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Does anyone her own a Holophane Lobay®? I'm curious to know if anyone else besides me has one. Mine is definitely not a reproduction. I would assume that it's is from the 1950s. It came with a prismatic borosilicate glass lens, a cord, a support ring made of cast iron, an aluminum housing, a porcelain E39 mogul socket, three support beams to suspend the housing and the lens, and a 300W incandescent bulb included. It still works!  :poof: It, and a bunch of 175W MV bulbs and yardblasters, had been sitting in a trailer for over 20 years. The original cord was ripped up, so we had to buy an entirely new one. All the metal parts were rusted out, so we used Rust-Oleum metallic Satin Nickel spray paint. Also, an E39 to E26 socket reducer was needed to fit a conventional bulb. We decided to put in a Philips 5W G25 LED filament bulb to give it an ambient feel. I also added a switch to the cord for convenience. It lights my reclining chair in my bedroom.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:24:07 PM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Holophane Lobay® « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 05:32:56 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Nope. But I know where I can get some if I so choose to.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Holophane Lobay® « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 09:49:31 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Nope. But I know where I can get some if I so choose to.
Good luck finding one reasonably priced. All of the ones that I've seen on eBay are $250+!

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Holophane Lobay® « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 01:20:00 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
A friend of mine has 8 or 9 of them sitting in one of the buildings on his property in Northern Maine . It's possible that they may become mine next time I go up there .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Holophane Lobay® « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 07:31:11 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have one modern repro that looks similar to a Holophane Lo Bay. Would love to get an original but the prices are way to high for what they are. I don't even know why they sell for that much too be honest. Holophane still makes most of the Lo Bay and Hi Bay line anyway.

It'd probably be cheaper to buy them brand new from a Holophane distributor than what the salvage dealers on eBay what for them imo.
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Holophane Lobay® « Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 10:35:53 PM » Author: nicksfans
I have two, one of which has been turned into a floor lamp. I used to have two more, but sold/traded them.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies