Author Topic: HPS Disposal  (Read 3200 times)
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

HPS Disposal « on: April 29, 2021, 09:12:12 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Not sure if there is already a topic on this. I have been wanting to know if HPS lamps can start a fire if not disposed of properly like SOX lamps can do. Regardless I know that they are supposed to be taken to a facility that disposes or recycles them the correct way but if I toss one or two lamps in the garbage can, is that dangerous to do? I haven't even tried finding a place locally to take lamps to for disposal.
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 09:13:19 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Not sure if there is already a topic on this. I have been wanting to know if HPS lamps can start a fire if not disposed of properly like SOX lamps can do. Regardless I know that they are supposed to be taken to a facility that disposes or recycles them the correct way but if I toss one or two lamps in the garbage can, is that dangerous to do? I haven't even tried finding a place locally to take lamps to for disposal.

Nope. It’s fine to chuck them in the trash can. I’ve done it before.  :mrg:
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 09:16:41 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
Nope. It’s fine to chuck them in the trash can. I’ve done it before.  :mrg:

Technically they're supposed to be taken to a facility. I try to do the best I can to care for the environment but at the same time if I only have one or two lamps to dispose of it's easier to toss them in the trash. I've had the same curiosity about MV and MH/PSMH. They don't contain sodium so they shouldn't be a fire hazard but still an environmental issue with mercury, etc.
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 09:20:14 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
Technically they're supposed to be taken to a facility. I try to do the best I can to care for the environment but at the same time if I only have one or two lamps to dispose of it's easier to toss them in the trash. I've had the same curiosity about MV and MH/PSMH. They don't contain sodium so they shouldn't be a fire hazard but still an environmental issue with mercury, etc.

I know. I do the same thing with modern fluorescent tubes that are EOL. I know I shouldn’t, but I do it anyway since there are no bulb recycling centers near me.  :-\
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 09:22:04 PM » Author: joseph_125
In my area the local municpal recycling centre and most big box hardware stores will have a bin for fluorescent lamps and CFLs. I have seen HID lamps in them before so I'd imagine they take them too. Some people do leave fluorescent tubes out on the curb but I've seen them get left behind. If the lamps still look good I sometimes grab them and use them up before disposing of them properly.   
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 09:23:04 PM » Author: sol
HPS has sodium in salt form, so no danger from that. Think table salt (NaCl) : it does not react with water but dissolves into it. LPS has sodium in elemental (metallic) form so those will react with water.

Now the mercury present in lots of HPS lamps, that is another story...
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 09:24:10 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
In my area the local municpal recycling centre and most big box hardware stores will have a bin for fluorescent lamps and CFLs. I have seen HID lamps in them before so I'd imagine they take them too. Some people do leave fluorescent tubes out on the curb but I've seen them get left behind. If the lamps still look good I sometimes grab them and use them up before disposing of them properly.
The trash guys around here take just about everything except for large (over 4” diameter) logs, tires, and closed paint cans.
I have gotten some fluorescent bulbs and a lot of fluorescent fixtures from the trash.  :)
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 09:26:05 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I have seen the bins at stores like Home Depot but never asked them about putting HID lamps in the bins. Guess I could ask, or find a local center that recycles lamps. I've thrown away a few HID lamps in the past but now I don't feel too good about doing it anymore. A guilty feeling afterwards I guess is what it would be like. Knowing that the mercury, sodium, and other substance containing lamps I just tossed in the trash are going to end up in a landfill.
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 09:30:55 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
I have seen the bins at stores like Home Depot but never asked them about putting HID lamps in the bins. Guess I could ask, or find a local center that recycles lamps. I've thrown away a few HID lamps in the past but now I don't feel too good about doing it anymore. A guilty feeling afterwards I guess is what it would be like. Knowing that the mercury, sodium, and other substance containing lamps I just tossed in the trash are going to end up in a landfill.
I know what you mean.  :( Sadly, it’s simply not feasible for me to recycle the bulbs, as the stores near me don’t have bulb bins anymore. They used to, but they removed them due to COVID.  :-\
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 09:32:23 PM » Author: joseph_125
The trash guys around here take just about everything except for large (over 4” diameter) logs, tires, and closed paint cans.
I have gotten some fluorescent bulbs and a lot of fluorescent fixtures from the trash.  :)

There's also some scrappers that roam around looking for stuff like brake rotors, old metal objects, etc to sell for scrap. I've picked up a few fixtures too, with the craze for LED a lot of good fixtures are getting thrown out.

I suppose if it's one or two they'll be ok with it, as some homes do use HID lights. But if you bring in a whole case worth of EOL HID lamps they might think you're a contractor trying to avoid paying for disposal and deny you.

Also a tip I've read, apparently the ceramic arc tubes in HPS lamps make for good knife sharpeners. I'd try it myself but I don't have any broken HPS lamps.
HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 09:41:30 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
I suppose if it's one or two they'll be ok with it, as some homes do use HID lights. But if you bring in a whole case worth of EOL HID lamps they might think you're a contractor trying to avoid paying for disposal and deny you.

Also a tip I've read, apparently the ceramic arc tubes in HPS lamps make for good knife sharpeners. I'd try it myself but I don't have any broken HPS lamps.

I wouldn't be bringing in more than a few at a time most likely.

I haven't done much research on lamps specifically over the years but are the HPS arctubes dangerous to handle? Like if I break a lamp and cut away everything leaving just the arctube itself is anything in the lamp unsafe to touch with bare hands?
I have heard about using them to sharpen knives myself.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 10:19:21 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
As far as I know , HPS arc-tubes are OK to handle . Other than something sharp , I can't think of anything else in or on a broken HPS lamp that could be dangerous to handle...Assuming it's not screwed into a live socket !  :mrg:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

HPSM250R2

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 10:26:20 PM » Author: HPSM250R2
As far as I know , HPS arc-tubes are OK to handle . Other than something sharp , I can't think of anything else in or on a broken HPS lamp that could be dangerous to handle...Assuming it's not screwed into a live socket !  :mrg:

Ok because I might try it soon. Probably with a cheaper lamp like a Polar Lites that came with a Lithonia fixture. It's a brand new lamp but it's not vintage or anything. So I might smash it and cut the arctube out. How well are the ends sealed? Do I need to worry about sodium leaking out or mercury?

If anybody knows anything to warn me about please do. Any parts inside an HPS lamp that I should not touch? Then I'd like to know how delicate the arctube is. If dropped or hit hard will I be in trouble? lol
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 12:33:35 AM » Author: Lumex120
I just keep a bin around that I fill up with dead HID lamps that I accumulate over time, and when it's full enough it goes to my local recycling center. I really don't like throwing lamps straight in the trash when I know they can be recycled.

Unofficial LG Discord

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: HPS Disposal « Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 01:58:09 AM » Author: Medved
HPS has sodium in salt form, so no danger from that. Think table salt (NaCl) : it does not react with water but dissolves into it. LPS has sodium in elemental (metallic) form so those will react with water

Nope. HPS contain sodium in amalgam with mercury. So it will react with water. But there is much less of sodium in HPS than it uses to be in LPS, so the energy that get released is limited. Plus due to the size, the HPS tend to be more tough so less likely to break...

Salt form is in MHs, but mostly with I, not Cl.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies