Author Topic: What did you do today NOT lighting wise  (Read 54916 times)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #375 on: July 04, 2023, 01:30:05 PM » Author: Rommie
Wow, does nobody ever post on this topic any more..?  :(

Anyway, today we installed our amateur radio transceiver in the car, pictures here.

For those interested, it's an Icom 2725E dual-band radio for the 2m and 70cm (145 & 433 MHz) bands and has a maximum power output of 50W on 2m and 35W on 70cm. We normally run it at between 5 and 15W though, anything more isn't usually required for local contacts, which is what the VHF and UHF bands are mainly used for. There isn't a hands-free microphone installed at the moment (essential when on the move) but that will be installed by the weekend, when it actually gets delivered..!

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #376 on: July 04, 2023, 07:04:02 PM » Author: Bulbman256
@Ria: I'll Bite! :D

Spent the past few days trying to change the clutch in my buddy's BMW 528 wagon. He dropped the transmission yesterday after we had to move the exhaust out of the way instead of removing it because the bolts for the plumbing to the header snapped off. Yesterday we couldn't get the clutch out since we didn't have the right socket, he did find one to borrow from a neighbor. Hoping we can get the quarter million mile clutch out and get the new one in with ease. :P

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #377 on: July 04, 2023, 11:02:01 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I sat on the couch and sucked up the Air Conditioning !  IT'S TOO FREAKIN' HOT HERE !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #378 on: July 04, 2023, 11:48:05 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Wasn't today, but I went golfing yesterday. Currently in Idaho right now.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #379 on: July 05, 2023, 07:40:33 AM » Author: Rommie
Ah, golf, a good walk spoilt  :mrg:

Don't blame me, it's an old saying, nobody knows where it originated  :P :lol:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #380 on: July 05, 2023, 06:00:38 PM » Author: Lcubed3
Framing. Hard, sweaty, work.

Today, it was 90 degrees. We're doing an addition, and right now we're putting the floor on the second story.
It'll be nice when the walls are up, cause then we'll get some more shade to work in.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #381 on: July 06, 2023, 11:43:04 AM » Author: Rommie
Fitted a hands-free microphone in the car for our 2-way amateur radio transceiver. It went in ok, but boy was it a pain getting all the wires hidden behind the trim..! Cars these days just don't make allowances for fitting additional equipment, everything is so tightly integrated  ::)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #382 on: July 06, 2023, 08:04:31 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Tell me about it !! Modern cars are designed to be quickly assembled initially and never disassembled or modified .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #383 on: July 06, 2023, 08:13:45 PM » Author: joseph_125
Ordered a "new" hard drive for one of my iPods. I've collecting older iPods for the past few months since they make pretty nice music players. Anyway I had a iPod classic with a dead hard drive I was trying to fix. I originally hoped it was a loose cable but after opening it up it seems more likely the dead was dead so I ordered one.

I considered flash modding but the parts required are quite expensive in Canada. ::)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #384 on: July 07, 2023, 07:43:46 AM » Author: Rommie
I refuse on principle to use anything which starts its name with an 'i'  :P

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #385 on: July 07, 2023, 05:39:05 PM » Author: joseph_125
Heh, compared to modern devices, the older iPods are pretty fun to mess around with and hold quite a bit of music even with their stock hard drives and I mainly wanted them as a dedicated music player so I cann play digital music files without having to use my phone.

Of course I have a good number of my music on vinyl, cassette and CD.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #386 on: July 07, 2023, 06:47:39 PM » Author: Rommie
They're made by Apple. That's reason enough for me, I detest the company. I don't need to listen to music when I'm not at home or in the car, I just listen to the radio or play a vinyl record or CD. We do have a cassette player that I inherited when my mum passed away, but it rarely gets used these days.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #387 on: July 07, 2023, 06:54:28 PM » Author: Rommie
Spent over 5 hours rebuilding the hard drive (well SSD actually) of my main Linux system after a failed upgrade, it's mostly back together but there are still a few things to tweak  :curse:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #388 on: July 07, 2023, 07:15:24 PM » Author: joseph_125
Fair enough, I don't mind Apple that much but I do detest how hostile to repair their newer products are but it seems like consumer electronics are moving that way in general. I don't really use the iPods out of the house unless if I'm in the car, then I sometimes plug it into the head unit. Most of the time the iPods stay docked to my stereo stack at home.

Ahh, I know that pain, one time the SSD on my laptop got corrupted during a failed Windows 10 update and it took me a day to figure out how to fix it without having to resort to a clean installation. Not sure how that happened although the SSD seemed to be on it's way out so I got that replaced too. Don't have much personal experience with Linux though.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today NOT lighting wise « Reply #389 on: July 14, 2023, 03:26:41 PM » Author: Rommie
Repositioned the hands-free microphone for our 2-way amateur radio in the car. We didn't notice when fitting it before that the sun visor got in the way of it when lowered, so some adjustment was needed  :-[

@ joseph_125 - Forgot to mention above that I spent 2 days sending and receiving loads of emails and phone calls with the developer of a program on Windoze that wouldn't run after a reinstall due to the old machine getting stolen, Got there in the end but it took ages..!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 03:52:40 PM by Rommie » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies