Author Topic: Lighthouse lamps  (Read 1014 times)
RevPhillipJ

View Posts
View Gallery

Lighthouse lamps « on: August 19, 2021, 01:59:31 PM » Author: RevPhillipJ
Hi all,

Attached are some photos of lamps for lighthouses that my grandfather, who was one of the last lighthouse keepers active in the UK, kept from various lighthouses he was stationed at.

The smallest bulb in the picture is from a light ship and was given to my grandad. The cylindrical one is the type used at Hanois lighthouse on Guernsey. The other two I'm unsure of their origin.

As you can see, my dad was given them as he made ships in light bulbs!

Before he guts all of the bulbs I thought I'd ask here as to the rarity and uniqueness of the lamps, as if they're uncommon we'd probably look to donate them somewhere.

If any other pictures or info are requested I'll see what I can do!

Thanks in advance for any information.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lighthouse lamps « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 02:32:17 PM » Author: Rommie
Hi and welcome to the madhouse that is LG  ;D

Those lamps look interesting, and some look very rare, so don't let your dad get at them  :poof:

Also, you may want to try posting them in the gallery, as we do have some members who do not frequent the forum very much. For information on how to do this, see here  :bulbman:

Feel free to ask if you have any questions or problems  :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Lighthouse lamps « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 03:50:46 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Agreed, especially the second one that looks like a Thorn 400 watt MBI!, there’s not many of these left today, there mostly the MBIF type!
Welcome to the forum  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Lighthouse lamps « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 02:30:59 AM » Author: dor123
The MH lamp is Thorn MBI/BD 400W, intended for base-down only.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies