Author Topic: SOX located in the US!  (Read 1929 times)
Attfreakk

View Posts
View Gallery

SOX located in the US! « on: November 14, 2021, 03:26:18 PM » Author: Attfreakk
 NEWSFLASH!!! SOX underpass lamps have been located on Route 55 in Bolingbrook, Il. I first thought they were yellow LED indicator lamps but when I looked at them closer I saw the distinct long arc tube of SOX lamps. These are my first. I believe they were 35 w. They were on about 4 or 5 underpasses. :lps:
desktoptrashcan

View Posts
View Gallery

theroadrunner556
Re: SOX located in the US! « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 11:47:12 PM » Author: desktoptrashcan
There’s also quite a bit of SOX here in the older parts of the Greater Houston area.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: SOX located in the US! « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 03:18:10 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
San Diego, California used to be a hotspot for SOX lanterns up until recently as LED lanterns have changed out the old SOX lanterns as SOX lamps became discontinued in 2019.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX located in the US! « Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 07:58:00 AM » Author: funkybulb
Cause they are force to change out lantern
As philips sent lamp supplier and city and towns
 To move to somthing else a lamp soon to be out of
 Production. It the EU cause this mess becase they wanted
White light with higher CRI in the streets. At one point philips had two sox plants running.  AS old Norelco LPS
(SOX) lamp made in belgium lamp plant.  And back in 80s
 US had way more SOX lighting but HPS lightng is far more cheaper and better CRI back in early 1990s that when 2/3 of US sox lighting fell out of use.   The main San Antonio
Post office was once lot with 180 watt Sox as was impressive to watch and running up. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: SOX located in the US! « Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 04:04:52 AM » Author: Silverliner
Several cities in California used SOX lamps to minimize light pollution for nearby observatories, or just plain maximum efficiency. San Jose and San Diego were the most prominent SOX cities, so did Santa Maria, Redwood City, East Palo Alto, Long Beach, etc. They have since got rid of them, some years ago.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX located in the US! « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 08:32:11 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
The City of Columbus still has tons of SOX in use on side streets , alleys and still a few underpasses . I'd bet they're not long for this world as of late .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: SOX located in the US! « Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 12:16:53 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
The island of Hawai'i in Hawaii also used to have LPS luminaires. Those were replaced around 2018 or so.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 12:42:00 AM by LightsoftheWest » Logged

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies