Author Topic: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED  (Read 3570 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « on: November 21, 2021, 06:08:24 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
How do you feel about seeing this beautiful preheat fluorescent fixture getting converted to LED?

Here is the video link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivy_9EmInZ0

Personally, I would have chosen to use European LED tubes and use LED starters instead of just discarding the rare ballasts.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:11:01 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 08:56:00 PM » Author: thelightingman
I wouldn't even convert it to LED, I would keep it all original.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 09:02:44 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I would feel the same too, but European LED tubes that come with LED starters would not require any modifications to the wiring of a preheat fixture in general if i had to convert it to LED, but can I can easily go back to fluorescent as desired.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

thelightingman

View Posts
View Gallery
All lighting except LED rules!

Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 09:03:41 PM » Author: thelightingman
Hmmmmmm, interesting.

I think HPS, MV, and MH rule! :mv: :mvc: :hps: :emh: Ban LED instead! :eoled:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 09:25:29 PM » Author: joseph_125
I kept all my preheaters original save for a couple of safety modifications namely a low rated inline fuse and grounding. I also only use metal cased manual reset starters and 40w lamps in them.

If I wanted to save energy I'd probably just get something more common/newer like a wraparound and convert that to LED, since there are LED tubes that run directly off T12 RS and T8 ballasts.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 10:10:55 PM » Author: funkybulb
 I see lot LED conversion garbage on Ebay with half pipers. Then sell it way over price.  If I was going convert one to LED it be the led tubes.  If u can find one with 120-277 rated with direct wire on one end and bi pin on the other
 U can just use a shorted starter.  To bring neutral  to shorted pins across the starter loop to other end of direct wire tube. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 11:53:13 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Home Depot sells T12 LED tubes that the box says will work on magnetic or electronic ballasts. I'd use those if I was going to convert to LED.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 12:18:27 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
From what i understand, the LED tubes sold at Home Depot will only work on rapid start magnetic ballasts and electronic ballasts rather than magnetic preheat ballasts because I do not see that they use LED starters.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 12:35:24 AM » Author: joseph_125
IIRC almost every T12 magnetic compatible LED tube I've seen all say not to use them on T12 preheat luminaires on the box which means they only work on rapid start luminaires. I wonder if anyone makes a LED tube with a T12 outer. Almost all of them I've seen use a T8 outer, even the ones designed to only be used with T12 ballasts.

There are some lights, namely half pipers, some louvers, and wide reflector turret industrials that look wrong with T8s in them IMO.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 12:41:59 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As far as I know, direct LED retrofits for preheat fixtures generally involve using European LED tubes with LED starters and European magnetic ballast compatible LED tubes that do not use starters. When I get myself some preheaters, I will definitely try some European LED tubes that use LED starters in 2 lamp preheat F40T12 fixtures that use compensator ballasts and 2 lamp ballasts that do not use compensators and see whether they will work or not.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 12:54:18 AM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder if they'll have issues on the lead side of the ballast. That's usually the side with the starting compensator and the ballast circuit on that side is different than a typical European preheat circuit. There's a cap in series with the lamp that forms part of the ballasting impedance. I suppose similar to a CWA HID circuit.

European preheat circuits to my knowledge are reactors/chokes and the cap is placed optionally across the circuit for PFC only. A NPF single lamp preheat ballast would be similar as would the lag side of a two lamp ballast.   
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #11 on: November 22, 2021, 01:34:53 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I will give some European LED tubes a try once I acquire a F40T12 preheater with a 2 lamp ballast.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #12 on: November 22, 2021, 11:03:24 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: joseph_125
I wonder if anyone makes a LED tube with a T12 outer.
The Philips ones at Home Depot are T12.
I'll have to look at the package & see if it says anything about preheat.
(it'd also be interesting to test either way (I could only try on a single-lamp ballast though))

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Walter Knox

View Posts
View Gallery

@WalterKnox
Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 06:06:33 PM » Author: Walter Knox
not that I use LED lighting at all, but I bought some tubes to play around with a while back, the great value brand ones that they sell at walmart will indeed work on a preheat ballast. on the box it says to not use them in a preheat fixture, but on the sticker on the lamps them self it can be used on a preheat ballast if the starter is removed, so I tried it on several different ballasts, and indeed it will work just fine with no starter in place, if the starter is in place it will violently fry the LEDs which i found fun,so i fried all of them and stuck with the real f40 lamps. but yes, it can be done.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Converting preheat fluorescent fixture to LED « Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 11:20:24 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Pretty interesting!!! Never knew that North American LED tubes would work in a preheat fixture!!!! I would still use a European "LED Starter" to cover up the empty starter socket to minimize the likelihood of getting shocked by those LED tubes if they were used.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies