Author Topic: is there any difference in the tube design between Philips PLC 2p and 4p?  (Read 1221 times)
adriangu

View Posts
View Gallery

is there any difference in the tube design between Philips PLC 2p and 4p? « on: November 24, 2021, 09:04:07 AM » Author: adriangu
We all know that Philips PLC or OSRAM DULUX D has 4p electronic version and 2p electromagnetic version. I’m wondering is there any difference between them in tube design? Can I just tear down a 2p version get all four lead out and use them in electronic ballast?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: is there any difference in the tube design between Philips PLC 2p and 4p? « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 11:48:35 AM » Author: dor123
The 2p have an internal starter so it can only work on magnetic ballast. 4p don't have an internal starter, so it can be worked on electronic ballast and emergency lighting modules.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: is there any difference in the tube design between Philips PLC 2p and 4p? « Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 02:02:05 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yes, despite the 2 pin having a glow bottle in as dor says, you will find their tube will still have 4 leads when you remove them, it’s just that the glow bottle will be between 2 of them, but you can just cut it out of circuit  ;)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: is there any difference in the tube design between Philips PLC 2p and 4p? « Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 04:04:50 PM » Author: James
As far as I know, at least in the beginning there was no difference between the 2P and 4P versions. Later the 4P versions began to be used almost exclusively on electronic ballasts, where the lamp power is rather lower than on magnetic ballasts.  That could mean cooler operation of the discharge tube, and the possibility to shift the bridge between the tubes further towards the end so as to raise the cold spot temperature and increase the discharge length, which would achieve a small increase in luminous flux.  I suspect Philips did not do that, but the company was often so pendantic to optimise its lamps in every minutest detail that it cannot be ruled out.  You could see that by checking the position of the bridge on 2P and 4P versions. 
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: is there any difference in the tube design between Philips PLC 2p and 4p? « Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 07:10:35 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I believe that modern 4 pin PL-C CFL lamps suffer a very short life on magnetic ballasts since they are usually designed for electronic ballasts.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

adriangu

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: is there any difference in the tube design between Philips PLC 2p and 4p? « Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 11:07:09 PM » Author: adriangu
For some wattage it’s hard to find 4p version. I have taken apart some pl s 2p 7W tube and run them on royer low voltage ballast. It seems that they are working fine. I have no idea whether it will have negative effects in long term use.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: is there any difference in the tube design between Philips PLC 2p and 4p? « Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 09:14:41 AM » Author: Medved
For quite some time I've used both Osram an Philips PL-S (so the 2 pin 0.16A CFLs) on an HF electronic ballast and no ill effects observed at all. And I doubt the arc current so power was really exact - the ballast was salvaged from some integrated ballast "quad" CFL...

No more selfballasted c***

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: is there any difference in the tube design between Philips PLC 2p and 4p? « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 11:52:31 PM » Author: Michael
I have some old Osram documentation about the 2pin and 4 lamps 5 - 26W. There is stated that both types could be used on magnetic ballasts, the later one with a separate starter.

ArcoTronic also made E27 to G23/ G24-d1 adapters with electronic ballast for 2pin PL-S 5-11W and PL-C 10-13W. They were patented in Switzerland in 1985/86 and were available till mid 2000s. 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies