Author Topic: Ballast wire  (Read 1562 times)
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Ballast wire « on: December 17, 2021, 11:50:25 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Anyone know where I can get a few rolls of the solid core wire for fluorescent ballasts? Thinking of a project where I would need some.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast wire « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 10:21:38 PM » Author: RadxD461
man, I just changed out 5 fluorescent ballast 3 weeks ago. If only I would have had known you needed The Wire I would have cut them all off the old ballas and gave them to you.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast wire « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 10:38:52 AM » Author: funkybulb
 You can buy the wire from electrical supply house.   The use them
For ballast leads,   Low voltage control wire. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Ballast wire « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 01:16:30 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Just search eBay for fixture wire #18

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Ballast wire « Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 07:14:55 PM » Author: joseph_125
Try searching for TEW 18 gauge solid core wire. It should be 600v rated which should work with most fluorescent ballasts.

DigiKey has a decent assortment if you can't find a cheaper source for it.

Stranded wire technically does work, but the push in connectors on the modern lampholders don't play nice with it unless you tin the ends. Just avoid using automotive primary wire, they're usually rated for voltages found in vehicle electrical systems instead of 600v. 
Nisei

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ballast wire « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 04:36:14 PM » Author: Nisei
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000915840646.html

John

DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Ballast wire « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 08:23:35 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
McMaster-Carr sells rolls of it in various lengths and colors. Part no. 8428T4. I purchased black and white 25 ft rolls a few years ago. Here's the stuff I got.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:40:45 PM by DetroitTwoStroke » Logged

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Ballast wire « Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 06:43:19 PM » Author: joseph_125
I agree McMaster Carr is a good source for this sort of stuff too. And also for any special fasteners/electrical supplies/capacitors you might need for your lighting projects.

Their ordering is a bit confusing to those not used to their system though. IIRC they usually have this thing were they ship items out first and then figure out how much to charge you for shipping. Great for those in their target market like plant managers who might need items fast and don't have to woorry about costs, not as good for individuals/hobbyists that want to know the final costs of things before ordering.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies