Author Topic: 1000w CSI lamp gear?  (Read 996 times)
FrontSideBus

View Posts
View Gallery

FrontSideBus
1000w CSI lamp gear? « on: February 06, 2022, 07:20:57 AM » Author: FrontSideBus
Hi all, when I used to want to fire up a 1000w compact source iodide lamp, I used to drag out a 1000w SON choke and run it in parallel with a 400w SON choke.
That combo gave the required lamp current of about 15 amps but it had some issues, namely it was a PITA wiring it all up and now the gear I used to use are now in their own enclosures which rules it out completely now.
I've decided to build a dedicated gearbox for running these lamps but I'm not sure on what gear to use.
I've read somewhere that 3 x 400w SON chokes will give the right lamp current? Obviously I just want to confirm before I got and plop £45 each on some 400w SON chokes!
Any info would be nice so I can crack on!

Bulbs are for planting: Lamps are for lighting!
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11271

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1000w CSI lamp gear? « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 08:26:35 AM » Author: Max
I did a quick impedance calculation of the system you want to build and your 3x 400W HPS choke solution should work indeed. For its proper operation, the CSI 1000W needs a ballasting impedance of 11.5 Ohms on 230 V 50 Hz mains. One 400 W HPS choke has a total impedance of 35 Ohms, so three in parallel results in a total ballast impedance of 11.7 Ohms, which is close enough.

However, that being said, keep in mind that those choke ballasts are designed for an operation at 4.4 A and pushing that current to 5 A (due to the CSI's low arc voltage) will increase the ballast's power dissipation by 30% (64.5 W vs 50 W per choke), which can result in a significant overheating, especially if you pack all three ballasts together in a compact enclosure...
FrontSideBus

View Posts
View Gallery

FrontSideBus
Re: 1000w CSI lamp gear? « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 09:56:41 AM » Author: FrontSideBus
Thanks for that.
I'm not really concerned about overheating the ballasts and realistically this will only get used for no more than maybe half an hour at at time.
I only have two lamps so it's not like I'm going to put them into proper service :)

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 1000w CSI lamp gear? « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 10:46:08 AM » Author: Max
No problem. An intermittent service won't be a problem then. Otherwise it would be a really good idea to couple heatsinks to those ballasts and possibly add a few fans.
FrontSideBus

View Posts
View Gallery

FrontSideBus
Re: 1000w CSI lamp gear? « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 02:42:18 PM » Author: FrontSideBus
Bang! And my wallet takes a hit...  :o

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies