Author Topic: CFL nostalgia!  (Read 2715 times)
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

CFL nostalgia! « on: March 21, 2022, 06:29:08 AM » Author: AngryHorse
So, Saturday morning I dug out my big box of CFLs, and got all nostalgic about them!  ::)
And as a result I’ve started to re-fit them again around the house!  ;D, I now have my original Philips 18 watt Genie that was on the landing before I tested the 20 watt CMH back in, the exact same lamp!
I’ve removed both the 10 watt Megaman LED in the bathroom for two 11 watt RING twin tube CFL, and as I’ve got boxes of 20 watt versions of Osram, Status and GE, I may reinstate those back into the kitchen lights!
It kind of cool to see the pre-heat starts and the tiny banding on the tubes again, and the after glow of them when they turn off!   8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 06:49:05 AM » Author: Rommie
And so he returns from the Dark Side, there is hope yet  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 10:02:33 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Not fully!  ;D, I’m keeping all LED outside as their on for longer hours, but funny enough, the 18 watt Genie on the landing is better than the LED that was there!  :cfl1: :cfl1:, better colour and as it’s not just downward directed light, the walls and ceiling get lit again!

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 11:49:08 AM » Author: Econolite03
Remember back when everyone on L-G hated CFLs in the early 2010s? Now they are collectors items. Personally I’d like to get my hands on those old GE Compax lamps.

Now on Linktree

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 01:49:07 PM » Author: Medved
@Econolite03:
And at the same time mused about how "LED's are much better"... :-D

And the same with the HPS (replacing the MV's at that time) in streetlights...

The life is just funny...   :lol:

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 01:59:57 PM » Author: Rommie
I have always preferred sodium light (LPS or HPS) to MV or MH, I just don't like white(ish) light for street lighting. Also, Sammi has night blindness, which means she can hardly see at all under the infernal LED's we are now stuck with. But with sodium light, she can actually read without changing from distance to reading glasses..!

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #6 on: March 21, 2022, 02:05:19 PM » Author: Econolite03
So are you gonna convert your whole dwelling to SOX lamps, so when you walk into the bathroom and it’s just pure sodium? A 180W hung from the ceiling should do the trick.

Now on Linktree

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 03:02:32 PM » Author: Rommie
It's an idea  :lol:

We already mainly light the living room with SOX and HPS Gamma 6's, and our alarm clock is a 35W SOX in a Beta 5 so that's the bedroom covered..! The other rooms (bathroom, kitchen and hallway) aren't occupied for long enough, so we'll stick with 2D CFL and incandescents for those.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 04:55:57 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Back when I was a child, circline adapters and spiral shaped self ballasted CFL lamps fascinated me in such a way that I often enjoyed running spiral self ballasted CFl lamps side by side with A19 incandescent bulbs. In some cases, I even had some permanent installations with spiral CFL lamps and incandescent bulbs installed side by side. When I was a child, I even dreamed about lighting my house with circline adapters all over the place. Because of my fascination with CFL lamps, I ended up having a 22w preheat circline adapter installed in the attic of my parents’ house. In addition, I also freaked out whenever I saw fluorescent light bulbs flickering when I was young and sometimes, I even made CFL lamps flicker intentionally by using installing them on incandescent fixtures controlled by dimmer switches.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 04:56:12 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Remember back when everyone on L-G hated CFLs in the early 2010s? Now they are collectors items. Personally I’d like to get my hands on those old GE Compax lamps.
Doesn’t seem that long ago does it?, I have loads of GEs Biax lamps with GEs unique ‘M’ shape at the bends, and carrying the Made in Hungary print when that actually meant something special!  8)

Welcome to OBLIVION

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 11:34:21 PM » Author: icefoglights
I even dreamed about lighting my house with circline adapters all over the place.
Had that dream many times.  Even got to experience someone else living it.  The brother-in-law of a friend from high school had his "man cave" down in his unfinished basement lit with something like 8 porcelain fixtures holding those LOA 9" 30-watt circline adapters.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 12:42:15 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
I have only one CFL to hand but I've used it in every fixture it fits in. It's the go-to when a lamp burns out and I don't have another replacement. I also use it in my SOX street light fittings when I first get them and can't be bothered to wire the gear. I just stick a 2-core cable into the lamp holder. It even found a home in my MA50 when I didn't have a lamp for it. Yes, an 11 watt CFL looks utterly pathetic inside the geared MA50, but comically pathetic  ;D. It's currently in a heavy duty bulkhead that I use as a desk lamp. It's at least 7 years old and still going strong. I need to look for more, I love those things :cflhd:.
bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #12 on: March 28, 2022, 01:09:34 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
I really like fluorescent lights because I am attracted to his unique light color, but in order to save energy, our home CFL :cfl1: is gradually replaced by LEDs :led2:

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #13 on: March 28, 2022, 01:51:57 AM » Author: AngryHorse
To be honest, there’s little difference in light output between a 13 watt LED and a 20 watt CFL  ;), on paper yes the LED is 300 odd lumens brighter, but as the LED I had in the kitchen was SMT with only downward directed light, and the old CFL is 360 degrees light, you really can’t tell any different!
Also at the time I was using CFL a few years ago I didn’t notice, but a 2700K CFL seems to have more red in its spectrum than the average 2700K LED when put next to each other?

I’ve got all LED in my outside lighting as their on all night, but it’s nice to have CFL back in use inside the house again   8)

Welcome to OBLIVION

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: CFL nostalgia! « Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 01:28:52 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
The light color of the CFL is very attractive to me.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies