Author Topic: Do you use a street light as a main room light?  (Read 4968 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #15 on: April 28, 2022, 04:12:36 PM » Author: Econolite03
You should get a beta 3 (Beatrice the Beta).
exexcollega

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #16 on: April 29, 2022, 03:46:43 PM » Author: exexcollega
I have Philips SORA above my kitchen table. I can fit normal household lamps but occasionally it is lit with 36 watt SOX-E
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #17 on: April 29, 2022, 09:24:08 PM » Author: 108CAM
As a joke I once plugged my 18w SOX Goldeye in the bathroom and took a shower with only it on. That was strange to say the least. ;D
That's making me want to have a shower with one of my HPS lights instead of the normal incandescent light but then the exhaust fan won't work as it's wired to the same switch as the main light which means the bathroom will fill up with steam.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #18 on: April 30, 2022, 10:27:00 AM » Author: Rommie
Be very careful with electrical stuff in bathrooms. It's not permitted here at all, except for shaver outlets powered from an isolating transformer. Or permanently wired extractor fans, etc. No socket outlets, or switches within reach of someone in the bath or shower.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #19 on: April 30, 2022, 12:47:11 PM » Author: Econolite03
Run a extension cord to it.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #20 on: April 30, 2022, 12:55:37 PM » Author: Rommie
That's even worse. You're still bringing a power outlet into a room where they're not permitted. Plus there is the added danger of tripping over the cable.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #21 on: April 30, 2022, 12:56:26 PM » Author: Econolite03
Easy fix, use duct tape to cover the tripping hazard.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #22 on: April 30, 2022, 01:01:26 PM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, but you're still bringing electrical equipment into the room. Not allowed here. The only electrical equipment that is permitted is, as I said, a shaver outlet with an isolating transformer, plus permanently fixed lighting (with the switch either outside the door or nowhere near where someone in the bath or shower can touch it) and extractor fans controlled from the light switch. Ours is a 12V one fed from a step-down transformer outside the room (it's actually in the meter cupboard).

No portable appliances, except shavers, as above.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #23 on: April 30, 2022, 01:31:45 PM » Author: Econolite03
Man, 240V land is difficult. Us here in the states were smart and installed GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) outlets in our bathrooms to avoid electric shock.
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #24 on: April 30, 2022, 02:11:05 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
More difficult, but arguably safer. But that's a topic for another time.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #25 on: April 30, 2022, 05:48:44 PM » Author: joseph_125
I've always wondered where you guys use hair dryers. Over here, we commonly used them in the bathroom. In fact I believe newer houses are required to have 20A circuits in the bathrooms to safely use the higher wattage hair dryers.

IIRC there are some older houses from the 1960s with a similar "shavers only" receptacle fed through a isolation transformer. They're typically considered outdated here and are retrofitted to GFCI. They even make special cover plates for that purpose. 
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #26 on: April 30, 2022, 05:59:10 PM » Author: Rommie
I use my hair dryer in the hall, pretty much just outside the bathroom door, there's a big mirror on the wall there. Sammi uses hers in the bedroom. We'd never dream of using it in the bathroom  :o
I just don't understand why anyone would see the need to use one in the bathroom when all you have to do is go next door into the bedroom or wherever  ???

As for street lights and other electrical equipment, NO WAY. You're in there to have a bath or a shower. I'm usually in and out of the shower within 5 minutes, a little longer in the bath, perhaps, but I generally take a book in with me.

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #27 on: April 30, 2022, 06:35:50 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
For you, two words: Oily lampses :mrg:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #28 on: April 30, 2022, 07:28:58 PM » Author: Rommie
What do you think we use when reading in the bath..?  :lol:

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Do you use a street light as a main room light? « Reply #29 on: May 01, 2022, 01:09:33 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
I certainly use one. It might just be because of my excellent low light visibility, but a flame from one is all I need. :)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies